Answered

Do Sonos in ceiling speakers need an amp if they are wired and go with ARC?

• 2 May 2022
  • 6 replies

Sorry for the naive question - searched for it but didn’t see.  I’m setting up a system with wired rear in-ceiling speakers and plan to connect this to an ARC soundbar (& will have a sub).  Do I need to buy an amp?  For that matter, will the wired rear speakers plug into the ARC?

Thanks for any help!

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 2 May 2022, 22:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Which in ceiling speakers? Sonos doesn’t make any, although they do sell Sonance speakers under a co-marketing agreement. But as far as I’m aware, all in ceiling speakers are not self powered, and would require a Sonos Amp. The Amp can be connected to the Arc via the radio /WiFi, but the speakers must be wired to the Amp. 

Sorry, yes, the Sonance ones (https://www.sonos.com/en-us/shop/ceiling-speaker-pair).  Sounding like I need to buy the Amp as well then...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

As explained when tapping “more info” in the very page you’re linking to:

Thanks.  Wasn’t sure if an ARC changed the equation at all by chance.  Clearly not...

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

No, the Arc is a soundbar with built in amplification for it's own speakers. As you concluded it does not power any other speakers. It does connect wirelessly to either other Sonos speakers with built in amplification or the Sonos Amp.

Thanks for the help for this newbie!