Create 2 zones in 1 room (PC and TV, 90 degrees difference)

• 26 March 2021
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I would like to create a set up with sonos products where I can have a surround system for my TV or a dolby for my PC but in the same room. The TV and PC are not in the same place in the room:

I wonder if its possible with Sonos products, and how would it work.

thanks in advance for suggestions

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

What do you mean by “dolby for my PC”?

Userlevel 7

How about this setup?

I personally wouldn’t go with a Port + 2 Sonos Ones for the PC.  I would either use a Move or 2 Roams (bluetooth).  But without knowing exactly what you’re using the PC for, it’s hard to know exactly what you need.

thanks a lot for your responses, I use the PC for work (video conferencing, excel ...), gaming and video editing.

is it possible to have a fungible set up where some of the speakers used for the TV are “re-used for the PC”

thanks in advance, apologies if its a weird request

Userlevel 7

If you connect your PC to a Sonos Port, it will allow you play the audio from your PC to any or all of your Sonos speakers in your home.

Fungible implies that you’ll be physically moving speakers for each set up, and then setting them up again in the Sonos software, something I’d find tiring fairly quickly. I’d second GuitarSuperstar’s and Melvimbe’s suggestions about two “rooms” in the same physical location, with a stereo pair of some type at the PC, and a full 5.1 setup for the TV. 

With a 90 degree axis change, there’s just no “fungible” way of setting this up.

And frankly, if you were to get down to it, it’s two 5.1 setups anyway, one for the PC, using a Beam (there are threads about that in the forum already) and the optical connection for the PC, and an Arc for the TV.

Due to the way Sonos is currently set up, you can’t share any speakers (think Sub here) between the two setups, and while you could “group” the two, there would be a delay between the two when grouping. You’re better off considering this as two individual Sonos “rooms”, in the same location. It’s more expensive, by a long shot, but if you want the full “Dolby Surround Sound” affect in both systems, it’s the only way to go. 

Thanks a lot for your responses.. very usefull! I wanted to see if I could have a system with minimum number of devices but serving both configuration 

Thanks anyway for prompt and detailed answers!