Question

Conventional surround receiver system as a 'zone' in Sonos.

Can this be done and if so, how?

I have 4 Gen2 Play5s all in one room. Of course I grouped them together to all play in that room. In my other room I have my Bose surround system with a Denon receiver.

What do I need, if anything can, to hook up and make the Bose work with Sonos? I've been told the playbass will do it and replace my center speaker but I'm not sure if it will work or how.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Get a Connect, and hook it up to the receiver. That makes the receiver a new "room" in the Sonos system. Then you can play pretty much anything that your Play:5s do on any speaker that is connected to the receiver.
Does the connect act like a boost as well? Also, would a PlayBase do the same?
Yes. Any Sonos device can initiate the SonosNet wireless mesh, by wiring it to the network. You don't actually need a BOOST for 'BOOST Setup'.
You guys are awesome. This is the first place I've been able to get answers. Best Buy had none.

So now I'm wondering if I should get a playbass and use it as the center and front speakers and move my bose to the rear of my set-up. I have a subwoofer already (not sonos) so I might not need, or be overkill, with the playbass.

This equipment is just not easy to test out as the cost is worth it but high. I passed on the playsub because I was satisfied with the bass from 4 play5s in one room. So many decisions. haha
You can't use the Bose and third party subwoofer in conjunction with a PLAYBASE for a 5.1 setup. Only Sonos units can be added ('bonded') to provide 5.1.

Also, adding a CONNECT to drive the Bose -- with or without the receiver -- will just be another Sonos 'room'. Sure, you could put it in the same physical room as the PLAYBASE, but it would be outputting stereo. Note also that, if the CONNECT was grouped with the PLAYBASE, they'd play in sync for music but not for TV.

Sonos units purchased direct from Sonos can be returned during the evaluation period if they don't suit.
Hi. You could only use non-Sonos speakers as rear speakers by using a Sonos Connect:Amp. And there are complications to doing that which mean i wouldn't point you down that path.
Awesome guys. Thank you so much. I will go buy a connect and hook my Surround system up to it for music as a 'room' which was my goal to begin with. The surround usage was more of a curiosity thing. The Denon has some weak music interface functions anyway. Good stuff gents. 🆒
awesome. great suggestions here. will look into it as well 🆒