Answered

Considering purchasae of a Sonos Beam Shadow

• 21 February 2020
  • 9 replies

I have 2 Play-1s and would like to add a Sonos Beam Shadow for 3.1 setup.

I have read that this setup would only allow the Play 1s as rear channel speakers

Does the newer “Beam Shadow” allow the Play 1s to be used as front L&R speakers ?

THX

icon

Best answer by jgatie 21 February 2020, 21:50

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

There is no difference between the Beam and the Beam Shadow.  That’s just what Costco and other warehouse outlets call the Beam.  Neither give the ability to use separate speakers as front left and right. 

Thanks, jgatie. I don’t recall hearing about the Beam Shadow before, but it does make sense that it’s the same device, just a marketing (and color?) difference. Appreciate the clarification. 

Wow. Black. I like that much better than the white, for my home. Very nice, great job, Sonos. 

Hasn't the Beam always been available in black? I have had one for quite a while. But I had also not previously heard it called tbe 'Beam Shadow' 

What are we to call the white Beam? The Beam Pure? Beam Snow?

Honestly, I’ve never paid that much attention. All of the ones on the ‘displays’ at my local Best Buy, and the pictures I’ve seen here have been white. But, given that I’m replete with two PLAYBARs, it has never been something I’ve looked for.

But no, it wouldn’t surprise me if they were always available in black. Just never really thought about it :)

Sams Club has them too.  The warehouse clubs name things differently so they cannot be price matched.  They're basically the same units, just different names and model numbers.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I think there are very minor color differences in Black and Shadow. Might be enough to aggravate an interior decorator type.

============

Sonos SL Black

===============

Costco SL Shadow

Heh. Not much, but I do see a slight shade difference. Reminds me of our marketing department who wanted different game boxes for each distributor, each with a special in game item.