Answered

Connecting Turntable to Sonos system

• 17 February 2021
  • 3 replies

Hi All

I am shortly joining the world of Sonos (Arc soundbar, Sub and a couple of Ones as rear speakers) but an unsure about the best way to connect my turntable to the system. I want to use the speakers detailed above to play my music through and don’t want separate speakers for the turntable (which I have currently). The turntable has a built-in pre amp. What’s the best way to connect this to the Sonos system - I’ve seen the Amp and Port, would one of these be the way to do it?

Thank you!

icon

Best answer by John B 17 February 2021, 13:57

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Hi.  I assume the turntable has RCA stereo connection out?  No point in getting an Amp for this unless you plan to buy a couple of passive speakers to create a hifi system.

The Port would work, but is a hellava lot of money to pay for a line-in (that is not the Port’s principal purpose).  A second hand gen 2 Connect would be cheaper and just as good for your purposes.

Another option is to get a Sonos Five.  It isn’t much more expensive than a Port, but you get a great speaker, not just a line in.  One issue would be where you would place it, and whether that would be convenient as a location for the turntable.

Thanks John, I hadn’t considered the Sonos Five as an option. You’re right, it’s not too much more expensive than the Port and seems more flexible. I could offset some of the extra cost by going for One SLs as the rear speakers then.

Thanks John, I hadn’t considered the Sonos Five as an option. You’re right, it’s not too much more expensive than the Port and seems more flexible. I could offset some of the extra cost by going for One SLs as the rear speakers then.

Not sure why you wouldn’t be using One SLs anyway.  Voice control is disabled on Ones used as surrounds to the Arc, as the Arc handles the voice.