Answered

Connecting turntable to Sonos Arc

• 14 April 2021
  • 4 replies

I have a turntable and intend to retire my whole stereo sound systems, replacing it with my recently bought Sonos ARC which is connected to my TV now. However, I have a turntable which I am not sure if I can connect to ARC. I assume I need some equipment to connect to the TV and out to Sonos ARC but it would mean I need to have my TV on when I use the turntable ? I was looking at AMP and I suspect it is not the system to do it, as it connect to existing speakers not to ARC. Any advice out there ? 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 15 April 2021, 04:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Depending on the TV it may be possible to get the output from your turntable into the TV and for the TV to then pass the signal through to the Arc.

I seem to remember a post where someone tried this using an analogue to HDMI digital converter, but then discovered the TV wouldn’t allow the audio only HDMI input to be selected as there was no corresponding video signal. So it could be very hit and miss.

Likewise if your TV has analogue audio inputs on one of the source inputs. 

The Sonos recommended method would be to add a Sonos device with a line in option, such as a Five, Port or Amp and connect your turntable to one of these devices. All are quite expensive though just to get the turntable connected. 

The latest Sonos product, the Roam is also supposed to allow a bluetooth input to then be shared across the rest of a Sonos system, so this could be an option if you purchased an analogue to bluetooth transmitter to attach to the output from the turntable. But I’m not sure if anyone has yet tested this functionality yet. I am watching it with interest as it could be a good option for me to attach my turntable to the system after I sold my legacy Sonos Connect device which had a line in. 

Thanks. Was considering the amp. Just not sure if it would work as ARC only have one input

Userlevel 7

@Kenny078 If you aren’t using third-party passive speakers, a Sonos Amp isn’t necessary. The better/cheaper option to play your vinyl collection on the Arc would be the Sonos Port.

FYI... the Amp, Port, or Five is not physically connected to the Arc. They will stream music to the Arc wirelessly. And you don’t have to keep the TV on to stream the music from your turntable to the Arc.

Oh that’s great. I think it is a useful solution.