Ceiling Speakers

• 14 September 2017
  • 7 replies

Im curious if Sonos makes an in ceiling speakers that can be connected to the amp with speaker wire?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No, they don't, unfortunately.
No, they don't, unfortunately. Well thats unfortunate!!
Well, you can use a SONOS CONNECT:AMP with normal passive ceiling speakers made by other manufacturers. Sonos just doesn't make passive speakers themselves. Not sure if that's the question you were getting at.
Be nice if Sonos made some wireless ceiling speakers, All they'd have to do is make up the speaker with a snap-in or twist-in mount and the pair button either on the other side of the speaker or on the Sonos logo as the pair button with an LED indicator.

But then we'd have to take into consideration that it would be powered by a rechargeable Li-Ion battery or replaceable batteries and half of us don't want to bother climbing up to change them unless they're PoE and you have a capable PoE Switch then maybe...

or just power on by a Connect:Amp via speaker cables.
Userlevel 2
Badge
A Sonos speaker you could flush mount into a wall or ceiling would be very handy, every new house would need one in each room!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have ceiling speakers which are connected to a connect amp via another amp so they’re on my Sonos system.
It's hard to imagine that powered in-ceiling speakers are going to be easier to install than passive speakers. That said, there is this...

https://www.firstalert.com/product/safe-sound/

It looks to be drawing power from the fire alarm power system and storing in a lithium ion battery. Of course, fire alarms are not usually placed with speaker location in mind.

The only other usual power source in a ceiling is a lighting fixture. I imagine you could create some sort of speaker lighting fixture combo, but you'd have to design it with a special switch so that the speaker gets power even when the light does not. Then have to deal with the fact people are going to what many decorative designs of lighting fixtures. And of course, light fixtures are not the best locations for speakers either.