Answered

Can the Sonos Amp appear as two zones?

• 27 January 2020
  • 3 replies

I’m trying to plan out a house install using a Sonos Amp with in ceiling speakers.

A couple of places I’d like to put speakers such as a bedroom only really make sense to have a single speaker.

Is it possible to have a single Amp appear as two separate zones? So one zone uses speaker channel 1 and speaker channel 2 shows up as an independent zone?

This would mean a single Amp could handle two smaller rooms quite efficiently, whilst still allowing independent audio control.

I initially thought this is what Dual Mono mode meant but now I’m not so sure.

If this isn’t possible then it would mean I’d have to use a Sonos One wall mounted for these areas which simply won’t be anywhere near as clean.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 January 2020, 05:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

No, a Sonos Amp is a single room / zone in the Sonos ecosystem. There’s a single pair of speaker posts. No way to separate the signal. You can connect two pair of speakers, assuming you are careful about impedance, both both pairs woul show up as a single “room”. 

There’s a single pair of speaker posts.

Thanks, so while there are two amplified channels in the Amp, they either play a single source in stereo, or both output the same mono source.

That seems like a missed opportunity - if there coule be two separate sources it would be unlikely any hardware changes would be needed (since there are two channels already) and you couldenable Sonos in every smaller room in the house each with a single speaker.

There’s a single pair of speaker posts.

Thanks, so while there are two amplified channels in the Amp, they either play a single source in stereo, or both output the same mono source.

That seems like a missed opportunity - if there coule be two separate sources it would be unlikely any hardware changes would be needed (since there are two channels already) and you couldenable Sonos in every smaller room in the house each with a single speaker.

That would require processing two separate streams.  It is only capable of processing a single stream.