Answered

can i use a stereo pair of Ones as surrounds with a Beam?

• 20 April 2021
  • 7 replies

I have a pair of ones (a one and a one sl) in my living room that I have paired in stereo which is great for music.

Thinking of getting a beam so I can have surround sound for my TV too but wanted to know if I set my ones up as surrounds for film/TV, can I still use them as a stereo pair for music?

Don't want to commit to buying and then find out they can only do one or the other!!

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 20 April 2021, 18:11

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

No.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2927?language=en_US

Thanks.

So if they're only set up as a surround system, what happens if I try play music on it? Will it come out of all 3 speakers or just the two ones?

Userlevel 7

If the One and One SL are connected to the Beam as surrounds, music will play out of all three speakers. And you have the option to set the surround speakers to play music in Full mode or Ambient mode.

Thanks.

That seems a bit awkward and wouldn't be keen on the sound coming from 3 speakers. Defeats the whole purpose of stereo sound.

I will look into some non sonos options for surround sound and let the sonos just deal with the music.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Thanks.

That seems a bit awkward and wouldn't be keen on the sound coming from 3 speakers. Defeats the whole purpose of stereo sound.

I will look into some non sonos options for surround sound and let the sonos just deal with the music.

Why not use Sonos for the surround system? Set them up as a room called TV (or whatever) and select that to watch movies etc, and the paired Ones as you are now for music? Then group both “rooms” for party mode and let all blast out?

Userlevel 7

@nik9669a 

Looks like you are suggesting @Broarty buy more Sonos equipment. Otherwise what you are suggesting doesn’t compute or did you leave something out of your response?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@nik9669a

Looks like you are suggesting @Broarty buy more Sonos equipment. Otherwise what you are suggesting doesn’t compute or did you leave something out of your response?

Yes: if @Broarty is going to buy a dedicated surround system, running in addition to his existing stereo-paired Ones,  a Sonos solution would be an option and could be set up/used in the way I described.