Skip to main content
Question

budget option to play CD with my Sonos setup

• 26 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello! I am looking for advice for the best option to play my old CDs with my Sonos speakers ( Playbar, Sonos 1 and Sono SL).

The three options I have found are : Brennan Helix, used Sonos connect + cheap/used CD player, Sonos Era 100 + cheap/used CD player . 

Thanks

4 replies

The cheapest option is to rip your CDs to files and add that library to Sonos.  If that is not an option, you simply need a CD player and a Sonos device with a Line-In.  Any Sonos with a Line-In will do, the fidelity of the Line-In does not vary across the Sonos line.  See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-line-in-on-sonos

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Rip them and either share from a computer or add a NAS.

Hard to find a cheaper option than a Raspberry Pi Zero running SMB sharing. I haven’t found the limit on mine but it will stream four FLAC streams with no problems.

SMB v1 NAS for Sonos

or

Less technical solution for a Sonos Pi file server

Out of those options, a used Sonos Connect with a cheap CD player is a solid choice! Works well and won't break the bank.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

If going with the used Connect you might want to read the posts here on the older S2 compatible Connects and memory problems.

A CD player, even a 5 disc changer is not as convenient as having your entire CD collection available all the time. My CD player went away once I ripped my collection as it was never used.