Skip to main content
Question

budget option to play CD with my Sonos setup

• 26 June 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello! I am looking for advice for the best option to play my old CDs with my Sonos speakers ( Playbar, Sonos 1 and Sono SL).

The three options I have found are : Brennan Helix, used Sonos connect + cheap/used CD player, Sonos Era 100 + cheap/used CD player . 

Thanks

The cheapest option is to rip your CDs to files and add that library to Sonos.  If that is not an option, you simply need a CD player and a Sonos device with a Line-In.  Any Sonos with a Line-In will do, the fidelity of the Line-In does not vary across the Sonos line.  See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/use-line-in-on-sonos

Rip them and either share from a computer or add a NAS.

Hard to find a cheaper option than a Raspberry Pi Zero running SMB sharing. I haven’t found the limit on mine but it will stream four FLAC streams with no problems.

SMB v1 NAS for Sonos

or

Less technical solution for a Sonos Pi file server

Out of those options, a used Sonos Connect with a cheap CD player is a solid choice! Works well and won't break the bank.

If going with the used Connect you might want to read the posts here on the older S2 compatible Connects and memory problems.

A CD player, even a 5 disc changer is not as convenient as having your entire CD collection available all the time. My CD player went away once I ripped my collection as it was never used.