Answered

Boost or another router?

• 22 June 2021
  • 2 replies

I’ve got a Playbar, sub, and two ones. Will be setting this up for a house with 8 people. Planning on having a modem/router, and another router wired to this modem/router. My questions is, Would it be better to connect the Sonos system to the modem/router and have the rest of the people in the house use the other router as their wifi? or have people use the modem/router as the wifi and connect the system to the other router. I understand that either way, one must be connected to the same wifi as the system to control it, but from a network stability and less lag concept, wondering what would be better. Side note, the Playbar will be connected to a smart tv via optical cord. Planning on wiring the tv via ethernet to the internet that the majority of people will be connected to, so that they can use system when using tv, but when not using tv, only I will have control(since I will be connected to the wifi the system is connected to). ALSO, would having a Sonos boost work better than a dedicated router for the system? Only thing about this scenario I don’t like, is that everyone would be using the same wifi, hence everyone can control the Sonos system.

icon

Best answer by John B 23 June 2021, 09:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Hi.  If you are to be the only person who can control the Sonos system then that system has to be on a subnet to which only you have access, i.e. you need a second router.  Having a Boost would not change that in the slightest.  Whether or not there is a Boost involved, other people in the house will be able to control the Sonos system if and only if they can connect their phones to the same subnet as Sonos is on

Also, if the Playbar is connected to your router by Ethernet, the Boost would serve no practical purpose, as SonosNet would be operating already.

I don’t feel qualified to say definitively which would be the better set up for the routers, but I would have thought you would be best dedicating the second router to your Sonos system.

I don’t feel qualified to say definitively which would be the better set up for the routers, but I would have thought you would be best dedicating the second router to your Sonos system.

Indeed. If you want to have two cascaded subnets, put Sonos on the inner one. Put the masses on the outer one. The secondary router then bars access to the Sonos subnet. Sonos doesn’t care about double NAT.