Answered

Best Turntable for my setup

• 26 November 2020
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi guys,

I have a Beam, 2 x One SL, Sub (Gen 3) and a Move. I have finally given into the lure of vinyl and I was wondering what the best option is for me and my current set up. The above speakers (minus the Move) are set up in my sitting room as a surround sound system - can I get a turntable that will play music through that set up? I’d need the Sonos amp or connect...right? Would this defeat the purpose of the turntable though, would if be better to get hifi speakers that I connect (analogue)? I’m a newbie to all this.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 27 November 2020, 04:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Any SONOS unit with a Line-In will allow you to connect a line level turntable to the system. PORT is one way to do this. CONNECT is not a great choice because they are no longer in production and units produced prior to 2015 will frustrate attempts to use some current models, such as Arc. FIVE and AMP also support Line-In. AMP would allow wider choice of conventional speakers -- if you feel that they sound better than BEAM. “Best” sound is always a personal choice. Only you know what is “Best” (for you).

Userlevel 7

Hi @El Director 

The most economical choice is to add a Sonos Port. You would set the Beam as the auto play speaker/room which would also channel the music to the surrounds and sub. 

If you decide that you prefer a more traditional stereo experience you can opt for a set of Fives in stereo pair or a Sonos Amp and 3rd party wired speakers as mentioned by @buzz. In either one of those scenarios the Five’s or the Sonos Amp would designated as the auto play speaker/room.

Any decent turntable with a pre-amp built-in or outboard will work. Cost is based upon your budget. You might consider those offered by Sonos.

Whichever route you take all Sonos can join the fun via Grouping to the auto play speaker/room. Even the Move can be grouped-in when in Wi-Fi mode accessing your home network.

Cheers!

Badge

Thank you @buzz and @AjTrek1 for your responses.  

So this is what I am thinking...I’d like the choice between the handiness of having the turntable play through my current Sonos speakers (including the Move) so that would mean I’d need to get a turntable with pre-amp built in and the Port. This would get me up and running right? 

I could then (at a later date) add a Sonos FIVE (or two) and that would be an analog setup then (because of the line in). Is that right?

Or I could add cheaper hifi bookshelf/floor standing passive (or active??) speakers...right? 

Thanks in advance guys, appreciate anything you can input.

AMP can drive passive speakers. PORT can drive active 3rd party speakers or be an input to a 3rd party amplifier or preamplifier.

Yes, you’ll need a built-in or external phono preamplifier for the turntable. Line-In can play in any combination of Rooms.

Userlevel 7

Hi @El Director 

You are correct that the Port would achieve your goal in the most economical manner to send audio to any Sonos speaker that is grouped to the Beam (which is set as the auto play speaker/room). BTW...you can use a turntable with a built-in pre-amp or one that requires an outboard pre-amp.

You are also correct that you could later switch to a line-in setup with a Five or two Fives in stereo pair. Likewise you could use a Sonos Amp with 3rd party speakers.

At this point you have to decide which route you’ll take.

Cheers!

Badge

Awesome. Thanks guys. I think, for me, it makes most sense to go with the Port for now and later add dedicated speaker for that hifi/analog experience. 

Appreciate you guys taking the time.