Answered

Best option for TV sound without using a Sound Bar

I am in the process in getting a new TV (Samsung Frame) which will be mounted over a fireplace.

I previously had a setup using a Sonos Sound Bar , Sub and two Ones.

Mounting a Sound Bar (even the Arc) is not going to be feasible above the fireplace.

What option do I have for TV sound without using a Sound Bar?  (e.g. just using the two Ones perhaps)?

Thank you

Anthony O.

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 9 August 2022, 21:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7

The only other Sonos option (besides a sound bar) is to install in-wall speakers on either side of the TV and power them using a Sonos Amp. You can use the Sub and Ones with this setup too to complete the 4.1 setup.

Thank you. I was afraid that might be the answer.

Too bad there is no way to use the Ones wirelessly without a Sound Bar.

The only other Sonos option (besides a sound bar) is to install in-wall speakers on either side of the TV and power them using a Sonos Amp. You can use the Sub and Ones with this setup too to complete the 4.1 setup.

They don’t have to be in wall speakers. If bookshelf speakers, or any other type of passive speakers, make more sense for your setup aesthetically, then you can go the route too.

Too bad there is no way to use the Ones wirelessly without a Sound Bar.

That would require the TV to output sound wirelessly in a form that could be played by Sonos speakers. I don't think you should hold your breath on that one. Bluetooth to a Move or Roam would be a possibility, but a poor one, from some TVs

Your previous setup was surround. Do you need surround in the new arrangement?

Not necessarily - thank you

Does the Sonos Port help at all here?

Not really. It’s a stereo only device, and the input on it would have a minimum of a 75ms delay. 

For connecting to a TV, Sonos offers the various sound bars, and the Amp. These are the only Sonos devices with a low latency/delay ARC / digital input. 

Thank you all  for the replies -  I am going to go with two passive bookshelf speakers and connect them to the AMP.

Can I get away with the previous Gen 2 AMP or do I need the latest Gen for connecting to my Frame TV?

Looks like the current AMP is back-ordered until October?

Thank you all  for the replies -  I am going to go with two passive bookshelf speakers and connect them to the AMP.

Can I get away with the previous Gen 2 AMP or do I need the latest Gen for connecting to my Frame TV?

Looks like the current AMP is back-ordered until October?

Only the current Amp (the old one was the Connect:Amp) has TV capability.  The old one had no TV input.

Ok great - now I just need to find one without waiting until October!  

Check local retailers rather than waiting for Sonos. The retailers tend to buy in bulk, and store them in their warehouse. Granted, you can’t use the Sonos discount that way, so it’s a trade-off, how fast versus how much. 

And damn this worldwide chip shortage. Will it ever end?

It looks like some large plants will be built in the US, but they will require a few years to come online.