Beam vs Two OneSL and Sub Mini

• 9 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Thinking of replacing my old stereo setup that sits next to my tv. The TV is a Vizio that does not have a soundbar. Don’t really need surround sound because we really don’t watch those type of shows. It would be nice to have a better speaker setup for the tv to help clarify sound (announcers during football for example). I would also like to replace the stereo because I am digitizing my vinyl to load onto iTunes.

I have a One SL that I’m using in the kitchen and am setting up our various music services and my own iTunes library. Now, I want to set up the living room.

So, would it be better to have a Beam with maybe a sub mini or go with two One SL’s (or Era 100’s, although I don’t need the voice control) and a sub mini. I realize that I give up connecting the tv if I don’t do the soundbar. However, am I giving up the music sound quality if I do go with Beam over two speakers and a sub.

Finally, the Five is a wonderful sounding speaker, but I think it is overkill in my 13x19 living room. I also don’t listen to things very loudly, so volume would normally be set pretty low.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gary

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

FIVE offers a “Line-In” that could accept an analog audio feed from the TV. Most modern TV’s provide a digital audio output that can be converted to analog using a little ‘box’.

Userlevel 4
Badge +6

Would depend on how much time you spend doing either TV or music. A beam and mini sub would give decent music playback but not the stereo seperation of two ones. I had two play 1s for a time playing a fair bit of music, they give very good music playback.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Any analogue to Sonos connection does have a 75ms delay that would make TV sound out of sync.

Thanks for advice. I think I’m going to try the Beam first. It covers both tv and music. If I’m not satisfied with the compromise in music listening, I could either exchange it or add additional speakers. I’m not likely to be sitting still in the room to fully listen to stereo sound, so I may not need the level of soundstaging as I might have in my younger days.