Question

Are two Play 5's on the floor set as stereo pair better than two Play 1's on the shelf also in stereo pair?

• 28 December 2017
  • 3 replies

I have a PlayBar that I am going to add two Play 5's or Play 1's to for both surround sound when watching TV and stereo pair when listening to music. The room is about 15' by 20'. If I get the Play 5's they will be on the ground vertically. If I get two play 1's they will be off the floor on shelves. Wha will sound/work better? Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The bigger issue is that stereo music needs speakers to be facing you for best results, and surrounds need them to be at the sides/behind. On the shelves at the rear dictate play 1s for surround, which is all that is needed anyway, the 5 units will not do much more in that mode.
Thanks Kumar for the reply. I got my hands on some Play 5's to test it out. I compered the two P5's vs the two P1's and the P5's were noticeably better. Deeper, fuller, louder. They were only slightly better in the TV mode, but they really showed their stuff in stereo mode. Cheers.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The bigger issue is that stereo music needs speakers to be facing you for best results, and surrounds need them to be at the sides/behind. On the shelves at the rear dictate play 1s for surround, which is all that is needed anyway, the 5 units will not do much more in that mode.

I agree as the rear channels, the Play:1s will be fine. Also, if he goes with the Play:5s, it would be better to not put them on the floor.