Skip to main content
Question

Arc + Sub Mini + Sonance?

• 21 May 2024
  • 6 replies

I am new to Sonos and new to surround sound/Dolby atmos. I recently purchased an Arc soundbar and am planning on purchasing a sub mini. I believe this will put me at 5.1.2? I was originally planning on adding 2x Era 300s to achieve 7.1.4 but the decoration committee vetoed that and would prefer an in wall solution. Now I am looking at the sonance in-ceiling/in-wall options and I have a few questions: 

• Can I achieve 7.1.4 by adding both in-ceiling and in-wall with two amps?
  • By adding only the in-walls would this be 7.1.2?
    • What is preferred and why? The 8in in-ceiling or the in-wall? 

Thank you! 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7

The Arc alone is 5.0.2. The last .2 are virtual surround channels.

The Arc + Sub Mini is 5.1.2.

The Arc + Sub Mini + Amp (powering two speakers) is still a 5.1.2 setup.

You can only add two surround speakers in a Sonos home theater setup so you have to choose either two in-wall or two-in-ceiling speakers powered by one Amp.

In general, you want to place the surround speakers as close to ear level as possible. So in-wall speakers would be better than in-ceiling speakers.

Thanks for the info! I’m still a bit confused how the Arc + Sub Mini + 2x Era 300s is consider 7.1.4 but the Arc + Sub Mini + Amp (powering two speakers) is only a 5.1.2 setup and not 7.1.2? I understand that the Amp with in-wall speakers would be missing the last .2 because there are no up firing drivers like in the Era 300.

Also, since the in-ceiling speakers are offered with 8in drivers could I just use these in-wall instead of the standard in-wall speaks that have 6.5in drivers? 

Userlevel 7

Because of the extra drivers on the Era 300, using them as surrounds adds two side surround channels along with two (rear) surround channels. These two extra channels makes it a 7.X.X setup rather than 5.X.X. Two in-ceiling (or in-wall) speakers will give you two surround channels and no side surround channels.

Installing the in-ceiling speakers in the wall probably won’t work because the wall isn’t deep enough to accommodate the depth of an in-ceiling speaker.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I hate the decorating committee!

I’d go back and ask nicely if a less obtrusive pair of ERA-100s would be acceptable.

Maybe if you covered them in something pretty?  (many colors available)

https://www.amazon.com/Soundskins-Speaker-Accessories-Compatible-Bright/dp/B0CX259PLJ/ref=sr_1_1

I think I have a better understanding but I want to be sure I’m not missing any thing. So the Arc alone has 5 channels (front left, front center, front right, rear left, and rear right) and the Era 300s will “enhance” the rear left and rear right and add two new channels, side left and side right. Where as the in-walls will only “enhance” the rear left and rear right channels? 

I think I have a better understanding but I want to be sure I’m not missing any thing. So the Arc alone has 5 channels (front left, front center, front right, rear left, and rear right) and the Era 300s will “enhance” the rear left and rear right and add two new channels, side left and side right. Where as the in-walls will only “enhance” the rear left and rear right channels? 

No.  First of all, the old “X.1.X” nomenclature is going away.  Atmos is position based, not channels based, so the number of channels is secondary.  But if you insist, here’s how it breaks down:

Arc alone: Front Left, Center, Right, Height (Atmos) Left, Right = 3.0.2

Arc with standard rears - Front Left, Center, Right, Height (Atmos) Left, Right, Surround Rear Left, Right = 5.0.2

Arc with ERA 300 rears - Front Left, Center, Right, Height (Atmos) Left, Right (Arc), Surround Rear Left, Right, Height (Atmos) Rear Left, Right (Era 300) = 5.0.4.

Add a sub for the .1 in the middle.