Arc Performance in Loft Converson

• 13 May 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi, We are having a loft converted and I am creating a TV/cinema space. I am intending to buy an Arc but am concerned about its effectiveness given the shape of the room. The room is rectangular, but has sloping ceilings as per the attached image. Could someone offer any advice?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Because the Arc relies on bouncing sound off the ceiling and side walls to create simulated height channels and a virtual surround effect, this room shape is not ideal. But it wouldn’t hurt to test it out and see how it sounds. If it doesn’t work, you can always return it.

I would also suggest adding carpet or an area rug and some softer fabric surfaces to help the room sound better acoustically. You probably need to find a way to cover those sky lights too.

I would not use an Arc for this room, or any other system that relies on reflecting audio off the walls or ceilings. Maybe do a Beam with sub and two surrounds.  Sonos is best in spaces where you can hide speaker wires well.  Since you’re remodeling, you shouldn’t have to worry about that too much.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

That sized room I’d lean to an Arc, the height channels might be less than desirable but a Beam might prove undersized, a much worse issue. For me an Amp is out of the question due to lack of the center channel, but then I have hearing issues with dialog so it might work for you.

I’d worry more about reflections than sound from the skylights but keeping both in mind when looking at coverings would be good.

Good advice guys, thanks. Must admit I’m torn, I started with thinking about putting in full surround, but the convenience of a decent sound bar lured me! Good point re reflecting sound and was one of the concerns I had also. I did think about getting some of the sonos ikea symfonisk speakers for surround channels, but that still doesn’t really fix the height channel. Good point re skylights, am looking at blinds for that and will take sound and reflections into account when choosing. Thanks again. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I looked at IKEA but decided that a pair of One SL speakers were my best surround options.