Answered

ARC and Sonos One or SL for surround sound?

• 12 May 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Will be getting ARC next month. Should I upgrade Play:1 to One or SL as surrounds? Since ARC has GA built in do I need surrounds to have GA capability too?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 12 May 2020, 20:21

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

With the Beam, Sonos Ones mics are automatically turned off when used as surrounds.  I believe the same will be true for Arc.  You aren’t really losing anything by going with SLs.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

You can go either way as the mics will not function on surround speakers with the Beam and the Arc.  I have a Beam and pair of Sonos One's for my surround setup and a couple more Sonos Ones around the house.  Personally, I cannot see myself ever buying a Sonos SL not when it's only $20 difference. Maybe of it was $50... Then maybe.

Why? Because (and this has happened to me) I may have a speaker ser up in a location where voice is not needed BUT if I change the speaker's location I may find voice control preferable.  I like knowing I have the option if I need or want it. 

Some people are don't need or want this feature so the SL's are perfect for them. I just would not $20 be the determining factor.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

If I wanted to match (cosmetically)? Then SL seems like a cheaper option correct? I think so. 

Thanks! 

Doesn’t matter, other than the PLAY:1 is no longer produced, and may be harder to find. But replacing any PLAY:1s you have already as surrounds is unnecessary.