Answered

Apple TV 4 and Sonoa One SL

• 30 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I apologise if this has been asked before, but I’m new at this sort of stuff.

I play my TV through an Apple TV 4th Gen - I connect them with an HDMI cable.

The TV speakers are poor, so I’d like to see if I could add a Sonos 1 SL to improve the sound quality - my grandson has Sonos 1s and they are very impressive. If it works, I’d  then get a second Sonos 1 for a stereo effect.

My question is - will this work? I imagine the sound would have to get from the ATV to the Soos 1 by wireless - is that possible? Can the ATV broadcast wireless signals - obviously I know it receives them, but I’m not sure if it can send them to the Sonos.

Can anybody help

Thanks

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 30 March 2021, 03:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7

Yes, when you have the Sonos One set up in your house, the Apple TV will detect it as an AirPlay speaker.

On my Apple TV 4K, I slide down from the top of the Apple TV remote and it will bring up the Audio menu where I can select the AirPlay speaker(s) the Apple TV will send audio to.

Userlevel 7

You could play the audio from the Apple TV to the Sonos One using AirPlay.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US

But a better option would be to add a Sonos sound bar like a Beam or Arc to your TV setup.

Thanks for your quick reply.

I thought it was possible but the thing that’s throwing me is that I don’t have the Sonos at present, so it’s not showing up on the ATV Settings Remotes and Devices tab.

I assume that once I get the speaker, it will then register on the ATV app, and I can then select it to receive the sound as the video is going through the HDMI cable to the tv?

Cheers