Answered

Amp and Beam

• 12 January 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi,

My first post…

I’m thinking of installing my first Sonos components and would appreciate some advice from the group:

I have a large open-plan living space (approx. 11M x3.5M) with anLG TV towards one end on the side wall. 

I’m think of adding a Beam (Gen2) soundbar to the TV (so pointing across the room) and then a ‘HiFi’ at the far end firing down the whole length of the 11M room.  The sound stage of the TV and HiFi would therefore be at right angles to each other and would not be operated at the same time.

For the Hifi set up, I’m thinking of using a Sonus Amp connected to an existing pair of quality speakers and Sub.

My primary use of this system would be using the Beam when watching TV and the Amp when listening to music. I will need the power of the AMP to fill the room.

The main music sources will be Spotify, Internet Radio and occasionally a turntable or CD (I appreciate the AMP only has one pair of phono connectors to share between turntable and CD).

In addition to the TV remote, I’d like to be able to control the system using an iPhone and iPad (preferably being able to switch between the two Apple devices seamlessly).

So my questions are:  Does this set up make sense?

Are there benefits to using Sonos Amp rather than another brand of mini-hifi? E.g. can the Beam and Amp interact in any way? 

For example, when using Spotify, can I see the artist information and picture on my TV screen, while using the AMP as the audio source (with the Beam remaining silent)?

Also, how can I benefit from Alexa control of either or both devices?

Are there any other advantages of using the two Sonos products that I haven’t identified, or any other suggestions for how I should set this up? All ideas appreciated!

Cheers

David

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 12 January 2022, 14:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Does this set up make sense? Yes.

Are there benefits to using Sonos Amp rather than another brand of mini-hifi? E.g. can the Beam and Amp interact in any way?

Yes, the Beam and Amp can be grouped together to play the same music at the same time. Since your room is pretty large, I can definitely see you taking advantage of this feature when playing music.

For example, when using Spotify, can I see the artist information and picture on my TV screen, while using the AMP as the audio source (with the Beam remaining silent)?

To see the artist information on your TV screen, you would have to use the Spotify app on your TV or media device connected to your TV to play music and then group the Amp with the Beam in the Sonos app. Then set the volume on the Beam to 0 so you will only hear the music playing from the speakers wired to the Amp.

Also, how can I benefit from Alexa control of either or both devices?

You can use the microphone on the Beam to control both devices using Alexa. Or you can use an Amazon Echo device instead.

Are there any other advantages of using the two Sonos products that I haven’t identified, or any other suggestions for how I should set this up?

If you want to connect both a CD player and turntable to the Amp at the same time, consider getting a switch like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0892JHJ8B/

If you are using an iOS device, you can play audio to either Sonos device using AirPlay 2.

Wow, that’s great for a first response.  I really appreciate it.

Thanks

David

Just to quickly mention, If you have/add an Apple TV to your HT setup there is also a 3rd Party App called ‘Tunesmap’ that will auto-display track/artist information on the TV about what’s playing on your Sonos devices.

Just wanted to add that the Beam isn’t designed for a room that large.  If the seating area around the TV is a much smaller space, then perhaps not a concern.  Otherwise , I would consider using an Arc or even a 2nd amp connected to the TV.

I would also consider a pair of One SLs to act as surround speakers to the Beam. However, these could be added at a later date. 

Thanks. The seating area is small, just the width opposite the TV.  Probably 3M from soundbar to the viewers ears. That being said, I could go for an Arc. Not decided yet.

If you buy direct from Sonos there is a long period for no quibble returns, so there is no harm in just giving your plans a go. They seem like good plans ro me though. 

I would personally rip CDs and use a NAS instead of a CD player.  Or just stream. The Amp's line in is  then dedicated to the turntable.