Adding a Turntable to a Playbase Sonos Setup

• 29 January 2019
  • 3 replies

I have an Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB Direct-Drive that I would like to add into my current setup and I want to know if the new Sonos Amp or perhaps a Play 5 will work.

My current setup is the following:
HD TV connected via optical to the Playbase w/a Sonos Sub and 2 Play 1's. My turntable is located right below the TV in a cabinet. I had previously looked into getting the Sonos Connect. The goal is to be able to play my vinyl through my Sonos sound system with the best sound possible and w/the least amount of cables (obviously 😉 ).

The turntable I own has a built-in preamp w/both RCA and USB out. Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated. I've made several decisions based on the community here and I thank you all for your support.

Cheers!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Both a PLAY:5 or a Sonos Amp will work just fine. Depends on whether you need another speaker, or want to drive a set of passive speakers. You could also consider a simple CONNECT, rather than the Sonos Amp.
Both a PLAY:5 or a Sonos Amp will work just fine. Depends on whether you need another speaker, or want to drive a set of passive speakers. You could also consider a simple CONNECT, rather than the Sonos Amp.

Thanks Airgetlam. One question I do have in regards to the Play 5 is where to place it as a speaker... I guess I could leave that one off the Living Room TV setup and create a 2nd setup for streaming music from the turntable. Am I correct in this thought? I was looking at the Play 5 over the Amp due to the price difference, however, the Connect is even less, but if I opt for the Play 5, it gives me the freedom to use it as an additional speaker since I have no other speakers or plans to purchase any other than some additional Play 1's for other rooms.

Would the Playbase place nice with the Play 5 if they are near each other?
Speaker placement has much more to do with two things, in this case....the length of the cable from the pre-amp/turntable to the PLAY:5, and your ears.

All Sonos speakers "play nice" with each other, technically. Again, it's your ears that you need to satisfy.