Question

2x Play 3 or 2x Play 5 for 40sqm kitchen/diner?

Hi folks

I have 41 sqm kitchen/diner and thinking about getting a pair of Play 3 to set up as stereo..

What I am trying to understand before putting an order – will a pair of Play 3s be enough for this area or I better consider two Play 5s instead (or a single Play 5)?

Another question about positioning… I am thinking about putting them under the ceiling (I‘ve heard it is better to put speakers on ear level but I have two small kinds constantly running around and it is currently not an option..) above glass doors – marked with red circles with number 1 on the pic, or in the middle of the room one opposite each other - marked with green circles with number 2.

A guy in the shop said positioning at green spots will be better as it will be in the middle of the room and so the sound will be more even however I am not sure how (and if) stereo will work in this case.. I never had a hifi music set up before and quite a novice in this area so any advice is welcome!

Many thanks!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Choose between the 1 and the 5; the 3 is a halfway house of sorts that is usually not necessary. Seeing the smaller size of the 1 units, can you place two at close to either end of the work top aimed in the general direction of the table?

Based on how much safe space is available there, and how much time you spend there, one or two play 1 units in the family space will then allow you to fill both spaces with sound when necessary. Or one 5 unit if that is easier placed.
Hi Kumar thanks for a quick reply!

I was thinking about that... problem is there is a cooker on the left side of the worktop (the one closer to the middle of the room) meaning all grease etc. will come to the speaker.. So another option is placing one Play 5 to the right side of the worktop (closer to the glass doors) but then price wise it is becoming almost the same as two Play 3s.. do you think a single Play 5 would suit here better than a pair of Play 3s?

I am putting speakers closer to the table area as somehow we tend to spend more time there, like cooking etc..
I suggest this: get two play 1 units and see how things go when they are placed in different places around the table and if you like their sound as I expect you will, install them "permanently" in positions 1, aimed downwards towards the table/isle. The alternative of using the isle will leave the family area very poorly served, hence I won't suggest that. If you like how they sound in general, I don't see any major issue arising with them mounted higher up provided they are aimed downwards to the listening area.

Ideally, get them on a returnable basis, as many do, to make the final call before doing the position 1 installation.

Later, do a similar experiment using a 1 unit and 5 unit placed in the family space to see what works best for there before making a final call for that space.
By the way, position 2 isn't good for stereo and also for two speakers firing directly towards each other causing interference with each other for the sound waves they put out.
Kumar, thanks a lot.

Just the last one - the suggestion of going for a pair of 1 instead of a pair of 3 is because there is not much of a difference between 1 and 3 when they play in stereo?
or is it because a pair of 3 placed in position 1 installation will likely not reach family area and so I would need to buy something for that area too (maybe later)?

and also thank you for explaining regarding position 2 installation, will rule it out now.
The former; and therefore it follows that not the latter. The 3 units will do just as well but the difference over a 1 unit pair isn't so much as it would be from a pair of 5 units. The 3 units are probably better sound than the 1 units, but some here will say otherwise even though they are at a higher price point that the 1 units.

And even if you put in a 5 unit to start with, the family area may still need another speaker for attaining even sound levels across the entire space.

Once any speaker is in its final location, remember to tune via Trueplay for best results. In the rare case that you don't liked the tuned sound, there is a convenient way to toggle it ON/OFF in the controller.
Understood, very helpful, thanks a lot !!
Userlevel 2
Badge
By the way, position 2 isn't good for stereo and also for two speakers firing directly towards each other causing interference with each other for the sound waves they put out.
It can be, but only if the speaker is bipolar (and fires left and right instead of straight ahead), or the listener is situated directly in between the two speakers. Definitive sells some bipolar like this for rear surround speakers, they're very nice.

For this space, I'd suggest four speakers, to be honest, even if it means going with smaller Play:1's. It'll give you a more even sound field - but listen first and then figure it out.
Thanks jec6613 !

For the more even sound field.. do you think introducing Sub would help here?

I am just thinking when (and if!) I get a Sonos Sub for my other lounge room with TV I may occasionally move it to this room as well and place it to the Family area...
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks jec6613 !

For the more even sound field.. do you think introducing Sub would help here?

I am just thinking when (and if!) I get a Sonos Sub for my other lounge room with TV I may occasionally move it to this room as well and place it to the Family area...

I honestly don't think it would help much unless you're in a very specific part of the room. Sound reflection is a problem in every room of course, but yours is essentially two rooms, with a partial divider in between them, which will set up all sorts of weird and nasty effects with a subwoofer if you put some power through it. And it's just adding power to one part of the spectrum, and the sound varies widely across the room. Sub tuning is a bit of a black art at the best of times, but I don't see any location where it would work in that room.

If you needed more power and bass, the Play:3's would do better than Play:1's with a sub for 90% of music. Although many people put down the Play:3 as the lost middle child, it actually packs a second woofer and a bass radiator - and stays out of the long wave subaudible frequencies that become so problematic for a subwoofer. It's essentially a Play:5 running at reduced power, if you take a look at it. Of course, Sonos doesn't publish their crossover of frequency response specs, but that's what I hear when I listen to them. The Play:1's sound like my computer speakers - not bad, but certainly lacking in power and bass response.

To be perfectly honest, your best choice for that room would be four in-ceiling speakers, probably in the 7-8" range, but that's usually not the most practical to install. 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I have a stereo pair of PLAY:5s in a kitchen diner of similar floor area. They sound genuinely excellent and have no trouble filling the space with sound, at high volume if required.

Hence, I would trial two PLAY:5s in position 1 on your diagram, oriented horizontally for a broader sound field, and tuned using TruePlay. I doubt you would be disappointed, but it's worth confirming that by trying it out.
jec6613 & pwt - thanks for your comments and suggestions.

yeah, getting four in-ceiling speakers seems to be the best option though after doing house renovation for the last 3 years I am not brave enough to start another (even mini) construction project ! Thanks for your other info - very helpful.

I was actually thinking about getting a couple of play 5s - hence the caption of the post - but then discovered they will not fit into position 1 - they turned to be too high to get into space between doors and the ceiling... a bit unfortunate as I can't really find other place to put both of them (opposite wall is not really an option due to how it is going to look). The only space available is for one play 5 on the worktop but then I would rather go for the stereo setup.. thanks for suggestion though