£2500 budget living room set up…

• 17 January 2022
  • 1 reply

I’m looking for a new set up in my living room. It’s quite large at around 7.5m x 4.5m 

I already own the following;

x2 gen 1 subs

x1 playbar 

x2 play 3s 

x2 ones 

x1 play 5 

the playbar and sub will be moved into the master bedroom now, the x1 ones will go into the kitchen.

For the new living room I was thinking… 
The play 3s  mounting up each corner of the living room as surrounds and buying a new gen3 sub and having two subs in the living room. (I’ve read you can link a gen 1 and gen 3 sub together) 

buying a Sonos arc as my new playbar and then buying a new Sonos 5 and having both the play 5s in the living room to for music listening  (I’ve read you can link and gen 2 and gen 3 play 5 also) 

would people approve of this set up for a living room of this size … 

1 reply

Userlevel 7

I looked on your profile and noticed a Play:5 (Gen 1) listed. Is this correct? Are you using the Sonos S1 app? The reason why I ask is because the Arc, Sub (Gen 3), and Five all need to be run on the S2 app. The Play:5 (Gen 1) is compatible with the S1 app only. You will not be able to use this Play:5 with the new speakers. Your other speakers should work just fine though.

Read more about S2 compatibility here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4786?language=en_US

FYI… you can only pair two of the same model speakers to create a stereo pair. So a Five can only be paired with another Five. It cannot be paired with a Play:5 (Gen 2).

One other note… your living room is big, but not that big. A pair of Fives with the Arc/Subs/Play:3s might be overkill. For now, I would just get one Five or set up a pair of Ones if you need more speakers for music in the living room. If this isn’t enough, add the second Five later.