2 or 4 Sonos ONE for our Large kitchen

• 7 March 2021
  • 8 replies

Hi all!
We are building a new house and I am in the midst of designing the sound stage of the different rooms. Regarding our kitchen, it is the place we will be the most in the enitre house and also there we will host the smaller parties etc. in the future, so the sound stage here is very important, both for everyday listening while cooking but also bigger events with family and friends. I am thinking 4 Sonos ONE in each corner placed approx. 230cm above floor level (total space from floor to ceiling is 255cm). Is it too much with 4 ONE’s? I could maybe mount 2 FIVES’s on one end instead and get even better sound instead of 4 ONES, but as I understand it Sonos FIVE does not have good selection on the mounting side of things? I have attached a drawing so you can see the size of our Kitchen, and marked my thoughts for placement with yellow marker.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

While I think either one of these could work. Another idea to consider as you are building the house would be to use the Sonance built in ceiling or wall speakers along with an Amp. With that you would have the ability to add up to 3 sets  in that room. You could make sure you have a spot for the Sonos amp as well and could add a phono or cd player as well. It would be a little more cost up front but would give you some future proofing as well as those speakers are a standard size and can be swapped and replaced as well as the Amp. You could also place those speakers ideally so a set could be directly above the kitchen table if you would like. My reccomendation would be if you go the Ones or Five route to wire plugs near the ceiling so you don’t have to drag cords down the wall inside or outside. 

While I think either one of these could work. Another idea to consider as you are building the house would be to use the Sonance built in ceiling or wall speakers along with an Amp. With that you would have the ability to add up to 3 sets  in that room. You could make sure you have a spot for the Sonos amp as well and could add a phono or cd player as well. It would be a little more cost up front but would give you some future proofing as well as those speakers are a standard size and can be swapped and replaced as well as the Amp. You could also place those speakers ideally so a set could be directly above the kitchen table if you would like. My reccomendation would be if you go the Ones or Five route to wire plugs near the ceiling so you don’t have to drag cords down the wall inside or outside. 

We already have the outlets on the walls in 230cm height planned with the electrician, so yeah we dont have to drag the cables. My worry with the Sonance route is that it is a pretty permanet solution to drill holes in the ceiling for the speakers while its easy to replace a ONE or a FIVE by just taking it down from its bracket and buy a new one. Also as you mentioned to In-ceiling solution requires an Sonos AMP as well somewhere, which I am unsure where that would be.

@mdpedersen why not consider two FIVEs on the right side where you have the dining table and two Moves on the left side - the moves will come handy if you plan any outdoor activity or need some temporary extra sound in another room - in any case I would foresee ethernet cabling from your router to the four corners, albeit that the Moves do not have a cable entry - hope this helps

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

If the permanency of a truly integrated solution using in wall or in ceiling does not appeal - which if it were my project and budget was not an issue would be the way to go - then i think the multiple ones and a sub would be the best to fill the space with a good sound stage. 

if Alexa or similar gimmickry is a need then I don’t think the architectural speakers have this option so you’d need at least one ‘One’ strategically placed anyway.

i have 2x ones in the kitchen on the counter, 2x Play 1s in the open plan dining area next to the kitchen and a sub. Fills the space nicely in a roughly 35sq M space. 

The speakers in the kitchen do get ‘grubby’ from time to time though so need cleaning. Which would be less of an issue with the architectural option. 

All the best with your project - been there and done that a few years ago so know the excitement and frustrations to come. Good luck! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

if Alexa or similar gimmickry is a need then I don’t think the architectural speakers have this option so you’d need at least one ‘One’ strategically placed anyway.

The Amp actually does have Alexa/Google integration unlike the Fives. The Ones do as well but the One SLs do not.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The Amp actually does have Alexa/Google integration unlike the Fives. The Ones do as well but the One SLs do not.

How do you send voice commands to the Amp? Curious as I did not think it has an Mic. I thought it could be controlled with Alexa only via other voice enables smarts like the One, Beam, Arc or Move. Same for the Five. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

How do you send voice commands to the Amp? Curious as I did not think it has an Mic. I thought it could be controlled with Alexa only via other voice enables smarts like the One, Beam, Arc or Move. Same for the Five. 

That was my bad. Could have swore it had Alexa/Google integration. 

That was my bad. Could have swore it had Alexa/Google integration. 

It really doesn’t matter as you can use one of the many Alexa or Google voice assistant products to control your Sonos system just as easily as  Sonos product.  Better in some cases.  I personally find that an echo show is a great addition for a kitchen.