Answered

YouTube Music (premium) "Playback paused because your account is being used in another location."

• 10 December 2021
  • 9 replies

As others have described (in closed threads), I have the dreaded “playback paused because your account is being used in another location” error.

I have tried all the troubleshooting steps in those threads to no avail:

• disconnect/reconnect YT Music service in Sonos
  • ensure no other devices are playing (physically unplugged all Google devices, closed YT music tab on computer, and force quit app on phone)
  • update/reboot sonos speaker

“Premium” songs play fine in YT Music app, on desktop, and on Nest devices. EVERY “premium” song that I attempt to play on Sonos (either via desktop application or app) gives the “another location” error.

Per the other threads, Sonos is blaming YouTube for the error and YouTube is blaming Sonos. As a user, I don’t care who the problem is with, I just want it to work.

If this is not resolved, I’ll be moving away from Sonos permanently.

icon

Best answer by Sotiris C. 10 December 2021, 17:02

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

So, there are several potential issues. One is some sort of wifi interference causing an issue when the Sonos devices reach out to the YouTube Music’s authorization service. Another is the potential that someone has ‘stolen’ your account name/password, and is using it without your consent. 

Your threat not withstanding, I’d be reading the linked FAQ with the potential of applying some/many/all of the potential solutions presented there. I’d also be changing my account’s password on YouTube to something new, and then reauthrizing the account from within Sonos.

So, there are several potential issues. One is some sort of wifi interference causing an issue when the Sonos devices reach out to the YouTube Music’s authorization service.

Another is the potential that someone has ‘stolen’ your account name/password, and is using it without your consent. 

Your threat not withstanding, I’d be reading the linked FAQ with the potential of applying some/many/all of the potential solutions presented there. I’d also be changing my account’s password on YouTube to something new, and then reauthrizing the account from within Sonos.

Wifi interference would not cause ONLY “premium” songs to not play (this behaviour is repeatable 100% of the time).

My Google account has been secured with hardware keys, nevertheless my password has been changed since this issue started. The only devices listed as logged in are my laptop, my phone, and my watch.

I have also removed the Sonos authorization and re-added the service.

I also physically unplugged ALL my Google/Nest hardware devices, but still get the error.

There is clearly an issue with Sonos incorrectly determining that my YoutTube Music service is in use elsewhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

It’s maybe YouTube that’s telling Sonos it can’t play, so it’s not that clear.

When it next happens try submitting a diagnostic and post the number on this thread?

Just tried to play a “premium” song to get the error, then generated a diagnostics report.

Number is 1912263874.

To my knowledge, all Sonos does is pass a request to the Google YouTube music auth server, and displays what they get back from it. There would not be any state storage occurring on the Sonos side of things.

Let’s see what the Sonos folks say, when they’re able to pick up that diagnostic you’ve posted. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello @briankanderson, I had a look on the diagnostics you submitted and could see the error messages you are getting. Unfortunately, it is not clear what is causing these errors and I would recommend reaching out to Sonos Support so that they would help you further. Don’t forget to provide them with your diagnostics number 1912263874. If you resolve it, feel free to share the resolution with the Sonos Community here.

I'm also having the same issue, but it's only affecting (to my knowledge) 2 songs on a single album.

Have sent a diagnostic with confirmation number; 597818398

Did the support team come back with anything helpful? :)

Did the support team come back with anything helpful? :)

Sadly, no. I tried reaching out via phone but gave up after a while on hold. The issue is still happening and I moved away from YouTube Music when I use my Sonos speaker now. I’ll be selling it soon and moving away from the Sonos ecosystem altogether since it has failed to provide even an adequate user experience.

Ok I'm having to his exact same issue. It started a week ago. None of the troubleshooting steps are working.