Why can’t i get atmos with my Arc on vizio m556-h4?

I recently bought an Arc, two bookshelf speakers and a sub. I have it going through an 8k HDMI cable to my eArc port and eArc is turned on through the settings on the tv. When I try to play music or movies with atmos, it never says I’m getting atmos on my app. Please help. 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

Userlevel 7

What exactly are you watching or listening to? What apps are you using? Are you using any external media devices?

I’m going through the TV. I’m listening to Apple Music’s spatial songs and Disney+ movies that say Atmos supported. 

Userlevel 7

I’m going through the TV. I’m listening to Apple Music’s spatial songs and Disney+ movies that say Atmos supported. 

You can only play music in Dolby Atmos from Apple Music from an Apple TV 4K.

What audio format is displayed in the Sonos app when you play a Dolby Atmos movie from Disney+?

Make sure the Surround Sound setting on your TV is set to ON and Digital Audio Out is set to AUTO or PASS THROUGH (if available).

Good to know about Apple Music, I’m less concerned about that… for movies it says Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I have the settings you suggested and no luck. I just read an article from a year ago that only Vudu works on Smartcast, but I am hopeful they’ve updated since then. 

Userlevel 7

Good to know about Apple Music, I’m less concerned about that… for movies it says Dolby Digital Plus 5.1. I have the settings you suggested and no luck. I just read an article from a year ago that only Vudu works on Smartcast, but I am hopeful they’ve updated since then. 

There is a possibility that your TV doesn’t support Dolby Atmos audio from the native Disney+ app. Have you tested the native Prime Video or Netflix apps? Test “The Tomorrow War” on Prime Video and “Roma” on Netflix (premium subscription required).

Tomorrow War says it’s streaming Atmos, so why wouldn’t Disney+?

Apparently that’s the only thing, I tried Top Gun and Independence Day, both only say 5.1. Even though on the app they say they support Atmos. 

Userlevel 7

Like I said, your TV probably doesn’t support Dolby Atmos on the Disney+ app.

Would I have to get a FireStick 4K then?

Neither of my two Vizios allow passing of Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos on HDMI inputs, although they do play Dolby Digital Plus on the internal apps. Took a couple of contacts to Vizio support to figure that out. The newer one is a P75-F1. I’ve ended up getting an HD Fury Arcana as a result. 

Neither of my two Vizios allow passing of Dolby Digital Plus or Atmos on HDMI inputs, although they do play Dolby Digital Plus on the internal apps. Took a couple of contacts to Vizio support to figure that out. The newer one is a P75-F1. I’ve ended up getting an HD Fury Arcana as a result. 

I don’t think I need that. This TV has eArc. 

Glad to hear that, but my faith in Vizio’s ability to properly implement this kind of thing is relatively  faint, given the fact that while my TV is capable of DD+ from internal apps, it can not handle that format from HDMI inputs. Why makes zero sense to me, as the device says it has ARC. It might be worth double checking, as I had to do, with Vizio’s CS group. 

Userlevel 7

Would I have to get a FireStick 4K then?

Since your TV is equipped with eARC, it should work. If it doesn’t, you can always return it.