waste of time and money

• 20 January 2022
  • 5 replies

12:15PM, I’m writing this note in hopes that someone benefits. Speakers through house, playing Spotify crickets for tinnitus. Sound will not play consistently, restarts often, doesn’t play on all speakers. Many calls w support, same feedback always…”reboot all systems”. Zero help and the worst part is - you know it has problems. 900+ posts on your site alone for a speaker system while Elon Musk has intelligent cars. Good luck Sonos.

5 replies

Seems odd that so many people are able to both use and enjoy Sonos, but there is so little detail in your post, the only thing I could even hazard a guess at would be some sort of wireless interference, or possibly a duplicate IP address issue.

Sonos, being a networked speaker system, does rely on a reliable network in order to function properly, if the network backbone that the Sonos connects to is flawed, it will certainly reflect those issues. 

Often, ‘reboot all systems’  can indeed help with network issues, but depends on how the process is done as to which particular problem that process is addressing. And if the system is dealing with external interference, say from a neighbor’s router using the same channel, there is no amount of rebooting that will help, unless the router in question has the ability to find an open channel, and many don’t. 

Obviously, you’re frustrated, and rightly so. However, if you’re willing to take a step back, and provide this community with more details, there is a possibility that we can help. However, if you’re not interested in that, Sonos does retain an extremely high resale value, since it works well for those with solid networks. You could likely recoup a large portion of your investment, should you choose that path. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same here, the hardware seems nice, but the whole software world behind is complete broken.

Since I bought this mess, I faced 23 single problems and wasted hours in the hope of just an user error, but sonos was the fault and will not work like expected.

This is the new world of consumer electronics, sell fast, forget your customers :D

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This is a customer support forum, yes there are Sonos employees here but this forum is mainly for users/customers to help each other.  Having a rant is not the best way to engage people here, and yes I get your frustrations, been there too.  

@STCHyers as  @Airgetlam says give us some details of the issues, most of them are solvable as of the 900 posts most people find a resolution.

@marc123456 Someone has replied on your post, did you follow their suggestion?  If there are other issues, you mention 22 others, please share them and someone may be able to help.

What Elon Musk has to do with this is certainly a puzzle, but never let clarity get in the way of a good rant.

Those who do rant here in the community, hardly ever seem to describe their network setup in any particular detail.. even just the basics would be a good starting point. Things like..

• Make/Model of Router?
  • Switches across the network (managed or unmanaged)?
  • Sonos S1 or S2 setup?
  • Wireless access point details, including the wireless channels in use, channel-width and if channels are fixed/auto-selected? 
  • Outline of the type/amount of Sonos devices and if any are cabled to the LAN and where they are cabled?
  • Current SonosNet channel in use (if any)?
  • Other wireless access points/poweline adapters etc
  • Make/Model of Sonos controller device and version of software/firmware in use.

Without such basic details, I find that the mist just never clears in my crystal ball …and it’s therefore almost impossible to put forward some ‘perhaps’ helpful suggestions to maybe try to remedy the matter complained about.