Answered

Unable to remove or upgrade in S1

• 12 July 2021
  • 1 reply

I was living well with S1 and my mix of old and new devices.

Today I got a Roam and was forced to setup S2 in order to use it.

I got things working after some difficulties and had the Roam on S2 and the rest of my system on S1.

Somwhere along the way after that I got prompted for an upgrade on the S2 app and I foolishly accepted.  It appears to have upraded the firmware on my devices attatched to my S1 app and now all of my devices save for 2 in the S1 app say “incompatible”.

How can I get my S1 system back to what it was before the ‘upgrade’?

If I go to System Tools>Remove Products, it says “System Update Needed” which then proceeds to fail with “Error code 9”.

So I cannot upgrade.  I cannot remove anything.  Did I just brick the entirety of my S1 devices?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 12 July 2021, 22:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

There are several steps you need to take to do this…

1. Remove/Uninstall the S2 App on your controller device.
  2. Power off all Sonos devices except those that are S1 only.
  3. Open the S1 App and check for any updates
  4. Select one of the powered off S1/S2 compatible speakers that accidentally got upgraded to S2 and factory reset it (please note a Sonos One SL running on S2 cannot be downgraded)
  5. After factory reset, add the device back to the S1 App using "Settings/System/Add Product" 
  6. After setup repeat steps 4 and 5 for the remaining speakers you wish to downgrade
  7. After all selected devices are backup and running on S1, then reinstall your S2 App and on opening and by-passing the opening screens/agreement, choose the option to connect back to your (powered-on) Roam - when prompted to press a button, select the Play/Volume-Up buttons together and the S2 App will connect to that S2 speaker/setup.

Hope that works for you.👍