Answered

Turntable on Wifi Port won't play across to speakers on hardwired AMPs

• 1 July 2021
  • 8 replies

I have a Project turntable connected to line-in sonos port using Wifi.  When playing to devices like Roam or Move there is no issue with sound.  However, when playing to speakers connected to hardwired AMPs in other rooms (on the same network) no sound is heard even though app says playing.  It has kicked in one or two times but for no reason I can find.  Any help much appreciated ….

icon

Best answer by S_J_I 2 July 2021, 15:42

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Have you checked the volume on the Amps?

Try:

• Unplugging the Amps from power for a couple of minutes and rebooting your router.
  • Set Audio Compression to Automatic or Compressed.
  • Change the SonosNet wireless channel.

No luck. Did all the above and same issue.   I forgot to mention I play sonos radio or amazon music thru AMPs no issue and get very good sound.

Userlevel 7

Are the Amps located in a closet? You might be experiencing WiFi interference. Read more here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286?language=en_US

You might also try adjusting the Audio Delay setting to see if that makes any difference.

@S_J_I 

Perhaps try these steps…

1. Switch off Autoplay on the Sonos ‘Port’ in "Settings/System/[Port Room Name]” in the App.
  2. Set the Source Name to "Airplay” this will increase the audio buffer (you can overwrite the Airplay name with something more appropriate like "Turntable”)
  3. Select either level 8, 9 or 10 for the ‘Source Level’.
  4. Choose High or Max in the ‘Audio Delay’ Settings.
  5. Start the audio on the turntable and in the App goto the ‘Rooms/System’ tab - middle icon on main bottom toolbar and select the Room(s) you wish to play to.
  6. Goto the ‘Browse’ tab (Music icon) on the main toolbar in the App and scroll past your music services and select the line-in icon and choose your "turntable”.

See if that outputs the Turntable audio to your room.. if it works, then do the following:

• Switch on Autoplay on the ‘Port’ in "Settings/System/[Port Room Name]” and select the the Amp Room as the room to receive the line-in audio output.
  • Toggle switch to "include group rooms” 
  • Set a startup volume to your own liking.

See if that then perhaps resolves your playback issue to the Sonos Amp/Wired speakers.

How are you sending the signal to the Roam and/or Move? Is it via Bluetooth? Or is the signal coming through the Sonos? Trying to determine if the problem is the line in itself, or the connection with the Sonos Amps.

No one’s asked the question, but does this Pro-Ject turntable have a built in pre-amp, and is it turned on to “Line” rather than “Phono”? If you were using Bluetooth for the speakers that are working, it could be that. If you’re using the line in only, then that’s not a possibility, and we need to look at the Amps or the connection to the Amps from the Port. 

tried both the above but no luck.  So changing source setting etc. had no effect.   But now i can’t get the sound out on the move. The roam works and has the white light, not blue, in another part of the house so I assume that means it is through wifi and not bluetooth.

A few more tidbits:   

The project turntable is set to Line and not Phono

I have the AMPs in a closet and they are hardwired with Wifi Disabled on the same network

The port is not hardwired and uses wifi 

All the sonos devices sit on the same VPN in the same IP address range

I use an iPhone to manage the app connected to the same network

All the sonosdevices are addressable through the app

It did all work before and all i did was move the port/turntable from another room

Appreciate the help!

Userlevel 7

Try enabling Wifi on the Amps.

ok success!! … but … looks like it has something to do with the hardwiring.   After enabling wifi it still did not work but it gave an error that the line-in device had to been connected to a sonos product.  I pulled out the lan cable to force wifi use and it now works.  Oddly Move now work too as it should give it is purely wifi.

Thank you!   I will go investigate my network settings on my unify setup as I suspect i must be blocking traffic from wifi devices to the hardwired devices.