Question

Spotify Not Playing On Beam 5.1 Setup

• 27 May 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi! I am having issues playing Spotify on my 5.1 Setup with the Beam. I have tried both from the Spotify app as well as the Sonos app. Inside the Sonos app, I get the message “Connection to Spotify was Lost”. Spotify plays normally on my other speakers, stereo set of Ones and the Move. If I group the 5.1 setup with one of those other speakers, it plays normally. Other music apps like Pandora and Soundcloud work as expected. I have tried rebooting the Beam setup, router, and modem as well as removing/adding Spotify in the Sonos app.

Thank you in advance for any help!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi there,

I understand that you are having issues with Spotify and other music services work fine in your Sonos system. When you have a moment, please submit a diagnostic report of your system and reply back with the confirmation number. It provides us with a snapshot of your system so we can help identify what is causing your issue.

My diagnostic report confirmation number is 1975959198. Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Perfect! First, let’s change your SonosNet channel from 6 to 11. Channel 11 is less congested comparing to channel 6. Also, try rebooting your router and if that does not work please provide the following information to have a better understanding on how your Sonos setup works, there are many reasons that could explain the issue you are experiencing and this will help to pinpoint the cause:

1. The make and model of the Router you are using.

2. Please list the controllers you have attempted to connect to the Sonos system (iPhone, iPad, Android device, PC or Mac).

3. Do you have any additional networking devices? This could include wireless network extenders, network switches and power line adapters (not other Laptops, Gaming Consoles, NAS drives). If so please provide the make and model numbers (usually found on the device).

4. Are you using any VPNs on your mobile controllers or a PiHole?

I just tried changing the SonosNet channel to 11 as well as rebooting the router, but it still doesn’t work.

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. The make and model of the Router you are using.

• I am using an Asus RT-AC68U.

2. Please list the controllers you have attempted to connect to the Sonos system (iPhone, iPad, Android device, PC or Mac).

• I tried using the Sonos app as well as the Spotify app for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

3. Do you have any additional networking devices? This could include wireless network extenders, network switches and power line adapters (not other Laptops, Gaming Consoles, NAS drives). If so please provide the make and model numbers (usually found on the device).

• I am using a TP Link TL-SG105 switch (the beam is connected to the router using it) and a Meraki Go GR60 access point.

4. Are you using any VPNs on your mobile controllers or a PiHole?

• VPNs are configured for my phone and Mac, but it is not turned on when using Sonos.
Userlevel 4
Badge +11

It looks like your phone is using your router as the DNS server, which shouldn’t be causing an issue. As a test, we’d like you to change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8, which is Google’s public DNS server. Once that’s done, remove and re-add your Spotify account back to Sonos please test playback from Spotify again and then submit a new diagnostic if it is not successful.

Still no luck. I change the DNS server to 8.8.8.8 and removed/re-added Spotify back to Sonos.

The new diagnostic number is 61074983.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Thanks for posting the number.  I would like to move your case over to our phone team for further troubleshooting. I am going to send you a direct message so we can gather more information from you. Thank you for your patience while we work through this.