Spotify Connect out of sync on first song selection

• 17 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Hi all, this is a duplicate of my previous post which got closed before I could resolve the issue. I’ve also added steps I have taken since that post.

—————————

Hi everyone,

I was hoping to see if anyone had run into the same issue as me on my Roam, and if so if they were able to resolve the issue.

The first time I start a playing session with Spotify Connect, the song I choose to play starts playing about half-way through. However, the progress bar in the Spotify app starts from the start of the song - so there is a disconnect between the actual audio of the song and what is shown in the app.

If I manually drag the progress back to the start, the audio and the progress bar sync perfectly to the start of the song.

A couple of other observations:

• This only happens with the first song played after connecting to the Roam with Spotify Connect within the Spotify app
  • This only happens with Spotify connect. The Sonos app, Airplay etc all work as expected.
  • About 1/10 times the Spotify Connect doesn’t even connect and I have to restart the app a few times to get it working.
  • This only seems to be happening on iPhone. When starting a Connect session from my PC it seems okay.
  • This is only happening with my Roam - all other Connect sessions are working with my other devices (Google Nest etc.)

Things I have tried to remedy:

• Reinstalled Spotify on my iPhone
  • Reset the Roam to factory settings.

Neither worked sadly! Has anyone else run into these issues? If not, is there someone at Sonos who can help me find out what’s going wrong?

———————

Since the original post I have taken the steps suggested by a commenter on that post. Namely:

• I have reset my iPhone 
  • I have factory reset my system 
  • I have unlinked and linked Spotify 

Other things that have happened:

• I’ve got a new iPhone! Same issue.
  • I’ve moved homes, with totally different mesh Wi-Fi and ISP. Same issue.
  • I’ve noticed this happen a couple of times while trying to Spotify Connect from my PC
  • The problem has gotten so bad that music doesn’t even play most of the time on first attempt. The progress bar in Spotify goes on merrily but no sound is coming from the speaker until I skip to the next song and then back.

Could someone from the Sonia team help me here? Do I need to send in a diagnostics number?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Badge +17

Hi @jgk-iles,

That’s a strange one, for sure. I’m not entirely certain what’s happening to your system there, so I suggest reproducing the issue, submitting a system diagnostic, and getting in touch with our customer care team via phone or live chat. They’ll be able to dig into this deeper and hopefully figure out what’s causing the strange behaviour.

Hi, 

I am experiencing the same thing. I’ve had Sonos for many years and this only started a few months ago. 

It now affects my wife and my iPhones and MacOS desktop apps very very often.

Also as per the original poster; it’s only ever when navigating to an album or playlist and trying to play the first song (doesn’t need to be track 1). Playback starts immediately but it is either 30secs/1min into the track (and the timer shown wrongly states it has begun at 00:00) or the playback counter starts ticking away and no sound comes out. In both cases, skipping the track forward or backward resolves it. 

As per OP, I have changed phones and laptops during this time, and unlinked/relinked Spotify. 

Playing via the Sonos app works without issue (sorry to say I do prefer using the Spotify app still, although the Sonos S2 app is seeing regular improvements).

I will submit a diagnostic to the support team as advised above.

Thanks

To add; I have tested this out with multiple Spotify albums/playlists where the songs have been downloaded to the iOS devices, and this does not happen. 

Hi - are any other users out there experiencing this? 

• Open Spotify Mac or iOS app,
  • select Sonos speaker in the Spotify Connect menu,
  • select song; it begins playing from around 30-60secs into the track (and sometimes no music plays at all) - in both cases the track timer begins at 0:00 like nothing’s wrong. 
  • select the same song again and it plays as it should. 

This doesn’t happen with the Sonos app.

This hasn't happened until recently (3months or so) and I've had many successful years of using the above method.  

Thank you!

Yes - it always happens for me, and like the OP only on the first song after connecting. This is on a Sonos One and a Sonos Three - not a Roam. There used to be a bug where it would always fail to connect the first time, and I’d have to start the track, then connect, then restart the track. A few months ago that stopped happening (which is nice, because that was a lot more annoying) but this behaviour of starting some 20% or so into the song happened in its place. It doesn’t matter if I’m starting from the Mac Spotify app, Chrome web app, or Android app - same result.