Speakers dropping out when changing song

• 21 May 2021
  • 9 replies

Exactly the same as other discussions in here (eg

), some not all of my speakers are dropping out for 5-20 seconds whenever i start a song or change it. its super frustrating and to my memory has only happened since i updated the the s2 controller (which in my experience has been inferior). Note i always play on a grouping 2 play 1s + 2 play 1s and sub (4 play 1s and sub) Submitted diag: 1327203633

Thanks 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge +17

Hi @reddamo,

Has this issue just started happening this past weekend? We’ve observed some minor issues with Spotify last weekend that could have caused some playback issues for some users. How is your system performing now? Do you experience any issues using other music services such as Sonos Radio or Soundcloud?

HI - no its been happening for ages - like 4-6 months 

I havent notice it in sonos radio no, but tbh i pretty much mainly use spotify 

Submitted diag: 1327203633

Thanks

@James L. 

Bump

Badge +17

HI - no its been happening for ages - like 4-6 months 

I havent notice it in sonos radio no, but tbh i pretty much mainly use spotify 

Submitted diag: 1327203633

Thanks

Hi @reddamo, thanks for the diagnostic.

I apologise for the late reply - I was out of the office for the last 5 days.

Taking a look at your diagnostic, I can see a couple of things that can be addressed. 

• The first is that your secondary DNS server in your router is set to 0.0.0.0. This essentially means that if your router needs to communicate with a website, and for whatever reason your primary DNS doesn’t respond in time, the request is guaranteed to fail. I suggest changing this to either 1.1.1.1 (Cloudflare), 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) or 9.9.9.9 (Quad9) to ensure this doesn’t happen. 
  • The second issue is that your speakers have a very poor connection to our cloud servers (>1 second ping). This may be due to the DNS issue I’ve mentioned above, or it could be a sign of a slow internet connection. I don’t see any signs of major interference in your network, so it’s likely that the issue is further “upstream” from your router.

I suggest fixing the DNS issue first, rebooting your router and Sonos players and testing for a day or so to see if things improve. If you’re not sure on how to change your DNS, and your router is the one provided by your ISP, I suggest getting in touch with them to get assistance with this.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks @James L. 

I think i managed to change to open source dns 

I redid a diag; Your confirmation number is: 389718372.

Can you check and let me know if the dns has updated and if it has improved?

Thanks

@James L. 

i found a way to checkif it had changed dns and it had not. i figured it out eventually! so here is a new diag post dns change Your confirmation number is: 1528040682.

thanks

Badge +17

@James L.

i found a way to checkif it had changed dns and it had not. i figured it out eventually! so here is a new diag post dns change Your confirmation number is: 1528040682.

thanks

Thanks for doing that! Yes, it looks a lot better now, both DNS entries are set to known good servers, so the issues should hopefully lessen now. The diagnostic you sent was submitted perhaps a little too quickly, so I don’t have much information on the cloud connection since the players had only just re-established that connection. Test out your Spotify playback over the next day or so and let me know if things improve!

Thanks 

Well right now it hasnt had a positive affect.

Just to reiterate the problem 2 speakers (play 1s) come on immediately and it takes 5+ seconds for the other 2 play 1s and the sub to kick in. its super fustrating and has only happened since i changed to the S2 controller (which to my experience has no benefit on ly issues vs S1 controller - i wished i never changed) this only happens when starting or changing a song

new diag: Your confirmation number is: 1334771197.

Thanks  

Badge +17

Thanks 

Well right now it hasnt had a positive affect.

Just to reiterate the problem 2 speakers (play 1s) come on immediately and it takes 5+ seconds for the other 2 play 1s and the sub to kick in. its super fustrating and has only happened since i changed to the S2 controller (which to my experience has no benefit on ly issues vs S1 controller - i wished i never changed) this only happens when starting or changing a song

new diag: Your confirmation number is: 1334771197.

Thanks  

I’ve taken another look at that diagnostic and I still don’t see any major reasons as to why that’s happening. I recommend getting in touch with our customer care team who have more tools at their disposal and can work with you live to get to the root cause of whatever’s causing this problem.