Answered

sonos works occasionally but mostly stopped working

• 21 March 2021
  • 3 replies

I’ve read a number of similar posts but haven’t seen a satisfactory solution yet. Like many people, I have noticed a significant deterioration in my Sonos user experience in the last year. I have been a customer for over 10 years and have a number of Sonos play and connect products. More recently they have just stopped working. We changed broadband provider  and connected all of the products again successfully. But now they all keep dropping off the app again. Sometimes one or two of the sonos products can be found on the app but mostly not, especially if lots of other devices are connected to the network. Have so far rebooted the WiFi router a lot, reset some of the Sonos products to factory settings but it only solves the problem for a day or two then they drop off the network again. I guess these are older products, but it doesn’t make me want to upgrade to new Sonos products but actually try a new more reliable system instead. Any help you can provide before I give in and move to another system? 

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 21 March 2021, 19:09

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Perhaps see if this helps to improve things for you…

1. Set the main routers 2.4Ghz WiFi channel to ‘fixed’ channel 1, 6 or 11 and set the channel-width to 20MHz
  2. Only if the above doesn’t help, then Wire just one Sonos device direct to your router. Then go into the Sonos App and do the following:
  • Goto “Settings/System/Network” and set the SonosNet channel so that it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel in Step 1 above.

See if that then improves your Sonos connectivity - if not, go back and try a different Router-WiFi/SonosNet channel, but if using SonosNet always keep the two at least 5 channels apart.

Hopefully those few suggestion will assist to prevent audio dropouts and the loss of your devices in the App. I also recommend checking out these two ‘hopefully’ helpful links too:

1. WiFi Interference
  2. Wireless Interference Video: Wireless Interference and Sonos

I wouldn’t even know how to do those things on the router. I did wire every single product to the WiFi individually. But as soon as I unplugged them, they forget the network. Now not one of the Sonos products works (c£2k). If I have to replace them all with products that work on S2 then I may aswell look into a totally new system where the company won’t update the software and desert existing customers....

Your profile does not tell where you are located.

Are you in the UK and using a BT router? If so, read this: