Answered

Sonos won't connect to WiFi; Unexpected Error

• 25 October 2020
  • 2 replies

I recently moved into a university dormitory, and although the WiFi is a public network, they have a system whereby a seperate private link network is used to connect wireless printers and such to your account on the network. This had worked perfectly and the Sonos connected and operated as designed for 3-4 weeks until recently ( possibly coinciding with the new app update), I was unable to connect to my sonos. In an attempt to troubleshoot this I tried to reconnect my Sonos to the system in the same way I had before except now I receive an “unexpected error” consistently every time my Sonos attempts to connect to the private network. It should be stressed that this is not an error on the Network’s side, as it had worked flawlessly before. I am unable to use any kind of ethernet connection, and when I tried to set up the Sonos through its own WiFi setup, i was greeted with another similar error at the point of finalisation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

icon

Best answer by TomRodneyy 26 October 2020, 13:15

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

It sounds like something may have been changed by the network administrator/staff, I would seek their views on the matter.

You might be best to setup your own wireless access point on the network first, which you will have control over on the LAN side and then setup the Sonos device and your controller on that access point. It’s just whether or not the university may allow this. 

The only other option is to perhaps use a 4G/5G mobile MiFi/WiFi device/hotspot.

Ok, issue solved, should anyone else encounter this highly specific problem, set up the Sonos on a personal hotspot, download any necessary updates and test to see if it works with the hotspot. Then disconnect from the hotspot and connect to your chosen WiFi, then when it says Sonos not found, press the option that you have changed router and follow the on screen steps.