Answered

Sonos Wifi Unstable ONLY for Sonos Radio Service

• 12 January 2022
  • 2 replies

I use  spotify and sonos radio on my sonos system. My system is a beam, a sub, and three plays (we have one in the kitchen and two as surround sound in living room). I have owned my system for 2+ years and have never had issues. I am subscribed to Sonos Radio app. 

I also have spotify set up on my system which I stream from with no issue. However, whenever I try and play any station on Sonos Radio, it will continuously pause or skip songs, and then say my wifi is too unstable. 

I have researched and seen the advise of rebooting your router, it being network interference etc, What confuses me is why its only Sonos Radio streaming that has problems, but not spotify and I even signed up for soundcloud and tested that and it plays perfectly fine. I am streaming directly through the sonos app.

Any help would be appreciated! I dont want to unsubscribe from Sonos Radio but I will if i cant use it! 

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 12 January 2022, 23:20

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7

Sonos Radio HD streams in lossless audio quality; 16-bit/44.1kHz FLAC upto 1,411kpbs (CD quality)

Spotify streams at a lower bitrate (only upto 320kbps) therefore this lower bitrate is why Spotify works for you but you are having difficulties with Sonos Radio. Most likely local WiFi interference is causing your issue as your Sonos speakers struggle with the higher bitrate.

Do you have any Sonos speakers wired to your router? If so, try changing SonosNet channel in the sonos app. Or are you able to either wire the Beam or your kitchen speaker to the router if you don’t have any currently wired?

Userlevel 7

I have owned my system for 2+ years and have never had issues. I am subscribed to Sonos Radio app. 

In addition, have you used Sonos Radio HD throughout those 2+ years without issue or are you a recent subscriber?

If it previously worked for you, have you added any devices to your home that may cause interference with Sonos?

How to reduce wireless interference

I had the same issue as you when Sonos Radio HD was first launched and the addition of a Boost to my Sonos system eventually sorted it.