Answered

Sonos system: rooms, devices and all setting vanish. Had to rest all and reconnect

• 6 February 2021
  • 3 replies

My small sonos system is a Connect Amp ( gen1 ), a Play3 and a Beam.  The Connect amp is wired to the ethernet via a Powerline that also served several other wired devices.  Beam and Play 3 are on wifi.

The system has been solid since I first installed it many years ago.  The Beam was installed in 2019.  Absolutely no issues.

Yesterday I went to play some music via the connect amp and Sonos S1(11.2.4 Build 57483220 ) and everything had disappeared.  I tried the app on another iphone - same.

I then tried everything I could to recover the system and devices for a good hour but in the end gave up and had to reset each in turn and rebuild the system.

Just before doing this I had checked that the router and all other net devices were working and there was no log alert on it.  All other devices were working normally including a smart TV and Fire TV wired to the same powerline connector as the connect amp.   The ip cameras ( also wired ) showed no break in operation between the last time I had Sonos working and yesterday.  The DNS table on the router had NO sonos devices listed wired or wireless.  I obviously tried the usual of rebooting the router, switching the Sonos devices off/on - made no difference.

Today, the rebuilt system is all there and working.

Any idea what might have caused this - and, therefore, what can I do to prevent a reccurence ?

icon

Best answer by Annazel S 6 February 2021, 20:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @greyowl998.

Thanks for reaching out, let me check it for you.

This issue can come as a result of various factors like wireless interference, perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

If all the recommended steps provided in those above articles were followed and the issue persists,  then knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting is the great foundation to troubleshooting this successfully.

Technically, the use of powerline adapters with the Sonos system is not a supported setup, for it may or may not work with Sonos and at times can cause issues. They often don't or stop passing multicast and broadcast data packets, causing all the respective issues( system control, association). I understand that this setup used to work without any problems, and that’s the point about this kind of device, we cannot guarantee any kind of stability of the system.

I suggest that you try to remove the Sonos product wired to the Powerline, directly connect it to the router and see if the issue persists.

Let us know how that goes.

Thank you!

I was wondering about the Powerline net adapter but only when I read your reply did I remember that I had swapped the original TP link for a multi port TP link about 6 weeks ago.

I can’t wire the connect amp but I can wire the Beam directly to the router.  I guess I will do that and reset/ rebuild the system with the connect amp on wireless as well as the Play 3

Regards

Richard

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @greyowl998.

Thanks for your response.

Yes, aside from the Connect: Amp, you can try to connect first one of your Sonos products to your router with an Ethernet cable that will put your system into a wired setup. In a wired setup, the wired product will broadcast a dedicated wireless network that your Sonos products will use. See if you can observe any changes this way or if the issue will persist.

Let us know how that goes.