Answered

Sonos Sub keeps disconnecting from wired Beam 2 (5.1 setup)

• 18 February 2022
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

My setup is Beam (Gen 2), two Sonos One SL and Sub (Gen 3). Also have a Playbar with 2 Play:1 and Sub (Gen 2) in another room. 

I kept having the Sub (Gen 3) disconnection when on wireless mode so I switched to wiring the Beam and deleting the wireless network. The Beam is wired to a Linksys router extender. All the components, including the Playbar based 5.1 system now seem to connect through SonosNet. Everything shows WM:0. However, only the Gen 3 Sub keeps falling off to the “?” mark. It seems strange that only the newer sub keeps disconnecting when everything else works fine. In order to reconnect, I have to reboot the Sub and then it works fine for a few hours until the question mark shows up again on the app. Sucks to have to keep doing this every time plus I loose my tuning every single time it happens.

The Sub (Gen 3) is only about 3 or 4 feet away from the Beam 2. The Playbar system is a whole floor level away and works perfectly connected through the wired Beam (I am assuming this is the case as this is the only wired component and everything is at WM 0).

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 19 February 2022, 21:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

You are perhaps best to submit a Sonos diagnostic report (note it’s reference) and contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff and ask them to check your setup.

I have seen numerous threads on Sonos and other communities stating that this problem began after “some” update. A few other threads about this problem have been swept under the rug without resolution. I have spent more than $200 in the last week just to tried to eliminate all but my wired connections. Now everything is wired and still same problem. Why do I see so many people with this unresolved problem?? Is Sonos truly looking into this??

You are perhaps best to submit a Sonos diagnostic report (note it’s reference) and contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff and ask them to check your setup.

I have seen numerous threads on Sonos and other communities stating that this problem began after “some” update. A few other threads about this problem have been swept under the rug without resolution. I have spent more than $200 in the last week just to tried to eliminate all but my wired connections. Now everything is wired and still same problem. Why do I see so many people with this unresolved problem?? Is Sonos truly looking into this??

I can’t say I’ve seen the threads you mention on this matter …and it’s clear that one of your Subs is working okay in your Home setup - I assume you have tried swapping them over, as suggested earlier?

The Subs are each working okay here with the S2 App, so I don’t think it’s related to any recent App update.

I guess it’s going to be a case of seeing what the Sonos Support Staff can discover when you contact them.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Alright, I owe it to post the solution I found with the tech. Specially, given how strange the issue turned out to be.

The diagnostic from the tech was able to identify that my Living Room Playbar had a Wi-Fi network in memory that somehow it was trying to connect to. This was a network that didn’t even longer existed in my house anymore. On any case, that seemed to be the culprit. I did a factory reset on the Playbar and everything was fixed. Almost 24 hours without a disconnections. The weird thing is that the Sub I am having trouble with was in the basement paired to the Beam.

Anyway, this was it.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I take it back, still haven’t problems.

What were the other ‘unresolved Sub reports’ that you were referring to in your earlier post  that you said were similar to yours and had been reported since a recent App update? -

I will read through them, just to see if anything else may come to mind. Can you post the links to those threads here please so we can see - (thanks)👍

Also what issues are you experiencing now, might it be related to your WiFi extenders. Can you outline how you have configured the wired/wireless network (particularly what SSID’s & channels are in use on each AP) and which Sonos devices are wired/wireless.

That said, you may find it easier perhaps to give Sonos Support another call.

Userlevel 1
Badge

What were the other ‘unresolved Sub reports’ that you were referring to in your earlier post  that you said were similar to yours and had been reported since a recent App update? -

I will read through them, just to see if anything else may come to mind. Can you post the links to those threads here please so we can see - (thanks)👍

Also what issues are you experiencing now, might it be related to your WiFi extenders. Can you outline how you have configured the wired/wireless network (particularly what SSID’s & channels are in use on each AP) and which Sonos devices are wired/wireless.

That said, you may find it easier perhaps to give Sonos Support another call.

I meant, still having problems. Autocorrect.

As I have stated multiple times, I no longer have any extenders. Just the main router and a wired system. Only the Beam 2 is wired. The Sonos tech couldn’t not identify any major problems at this time but the Sub keeps dropping out. 

As I have stated multiple times, I no longer have any extenders. Just the main router and a wired system. Only the Beam 2 is wired. The Sonos tech couldn’t not identify any major problems at this time but the Sub keeps dropping out. 

So perhaps go back to Sonos Support to see if they can assist you further - the Sub connects to its main bonded player (your Beam2 presumably) using a 5Ghz Ad-hoc connection - it does not connect directly to your network unless the Beam’s WiFi adapter has mistakenly been switched off - it maybe the case something is interfering with that 5Ghz signal between the two Sonos products.. often a reboot of the main player (Beam) will resolve such things… if not, then go back to Sonos Support.

Userlevel 7

The diagnostic from the tech was able to identify that my Living Room Playbar had a Wi-Fi network in memory that somehow it was trying to connect to. This was a network that didn’t even longer existed in my house anymore. On any case, that seemed to be the culprit. I did a factory reset on the Playbar and everything was fixed. Almost 24 hours without a disconnections. The weird thing is that the Sub I am having trouble with was in the basement paired to the Beam.

Have you factory reset the Sub (gen3) and added it back to your system? 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Have you factory reset the Sub (gen3) and added it back to your system? 

Yes, more times than I can remember.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So perhaps go back to Sonos Support to see if they can assist you further - the Sub connects to its main bonded player (your Beam2 presumably) using a 5Ghz Ad-hoc connection - it does not connect directly to your network unless the Beam’s WiFi adapter has mistakenly been switched off - it maybe the case something is interfering with that 5Ghz signal between the two Sonos products.. often a reboot of the main player (Beam) will resolve such things… if not, then go back to Sonos Support.

So, wanted to give you an update. I ended up trying a few more things and gave up. Took Subwoofer back to the store and, thankfully, they took it back in exchange for a new unit. Came home, installed it, and haven’t had a problem in 3 days. Must have been a defective Sub after all. This has been a crazy and frustrating experience but happy that it seems to have been solved. I will let you know if I get to a week with no issues.

Userlevel 7

So, wanted to give you an update. I ended up trying a few more things and gave up. Took Subwoofer back to the store and, thankfully, they took it back in exchange for a new unit. Came home, installed it, and haven’t had a problem in 3 days. Must have been a defective Sub after all. This has been a crazy and frustrating experience but happy that it seems to have been solved. I will let you know if I get to a week with no issues.

Could have got there a lot quicker if you’d swapped your subs around. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Could have got there a lot quicker if you’d swapped your subs around. 

What makes you think that? I switched them around and it still happened. It was definitely a defective unit. 

NO disconnections since exchange to a new unit.

Userlevel 7

What makes you think that? I switched them around and it still happened. It was definitely a defective unit. 

NO disconnections since exchange to a new unit.

You never confirmed you swapped the subs around or what the outcome was.

If the Gen3 Sub disconnected when connected to your Living Room Playbar, whilst the Gen2 Sub remained connected in your Basement it would point towards an issue with the Gen3 Sub, rather than a connection issue in your basement. Therefore, potentially saving you the $200 you spent troubleshooting the issue.

Anyway, I am glad you now have a new unit and are no longer having issues. Happy listening.