Answered

Sonos play bar - machine gun like sound in middle of the night

• 28 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Has anyone experienced random bursts of loud popping coming from their play bar? I was just awoken at 2:00am by what can only be described as a continual ‘machine gun’ like sound coming from the speaker. This seems somewhat startling. Nothing like this has happened before.

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 28 April 2021, 05:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

I had two PLAYBARs for years, and never experienced this. Are you sure it’s not something the TV is sending to the PLAYBAR via the optical cable, and the PLAYBAR is just reproducing what it is sent?

Can this sound be reproduced? If it can, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing that sound, and call Sonos Support to discuss it. They should be able to tell if it’s an issue inside the PLAYBAR, or if it is being sent by the TV across the optical connection. 

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis.

For what it is worth, the timing seems odd… 2AM sure seems like a time for a device to reach out and attempt to update itself. It may be worth double checking the software on your TV, to make sure it is up to date, and frankly, anything connected to the TV via HDMI. 

I just had a customer send me a video of her speakers that are connected to a Sonos connect amp (latest version) emit a sound that sounded just like a gunshot. She said it's been happened over and over. I just sent over a power reset, and we'll see if that fixes things, but separate devices (play bar/connect amp) similar issues

In most cases I’ve read about here in these forums, it has not been the Sonos at fault, but an external source sending the sound which the Sonos is just playing as it is designed to do. The only way to really tell, though, is to submit a diagnostic from the system that is exhibiting this behavior, particularly within 10 minutes of the event, in order to tell whether the Sonos is at fault or not. Then contact Sonos with the diagnostic number. 

Unfortunately, a power cycle is unlikely to help much.