Sonos Play:1 Crackling

• 24 September 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi there - in the past week or so my Play:1 in my kitchen has noticeably started to crackle and I’ve also heard this on other speakers - it seems like it only is happening when playing SiriusXM I just realized. Any idea on how to fix this or what do to to correct it? It’s driving me slightly bananas!!

Diagnostic confirmation number: 275800366.

Thanks! Adam

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Confirmed here. Just started happening to a play: five and play: one, move etc today. SiriusXM. The car radio sounds fine. 

Thanks for the follow up - definitely seems like a SiriusXM issue via Sonos and luckily not probably speakers breaking down. When I first posted I thought it was only my kitchen Play1 but now I’m hearing it on all the other speakers around my house (Move, another Play1, Soundbar, etc.).

And it also do not seem to just be specific to a single channel on SiriusXM but across the spectrum of them.

Ditto here.  For me it also only applies to SiriusXM on Sonos One.  No problems when I stream SiriusXM with the app, or when I stream other music on the One.

Since it isn’t on any other streams, that suggests that it’s not a “local” problem to your network, and not an issue with Sonos particularly. Unfortunately SiriusXM uses different servers for providing data to Sonos versus providing data to other sources, like your car radio, so it’s possible that it’s still on SiriusXMs side. 

But on the offhand chance that my assumptions are wildly incorrect, it might be best if you were to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this crackling problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution, if it really is a Sonos issue. Much better than just a text message saying it is having problems. 

Here’s what I did: submitted diagnostic. Called support. They didn’t care about the first diag. Had me play Sirius. They pulled a diag. Had me play another service Apple in my case. They pulled another diag. I’m now on hold…

Also agent noted Sirius operational here: https://status.sonos.com but he clearly heard crackling; so operational !== good. More info when off hold…

All is fine w Sonos. We attempted to try and log into the SiriusXM app and play that way through AirPlay. I am unable to log into the SiriusXM app, it reports unexpected error. I think SXM is having a bad day.