Answered

Sonos One SL doesn't reach my wifi

• 30 April 2021
  • 9 replies

Hello, 

I have 2 Sonos Play 1 speakers which work perfectly on the Wifi. I’ve just bought a One SL and this one can’t be linked on the wifi. First it tries to connect, then ask me name of wifi + password but doesn’t work. On ethernet it’s ok however I couldn’t place it where I want. 

How can I fix this wifi issue? I already tried 10 times to reboot the One SL + the router…

best

yann

icon

Best answer by Corry P 6 May 2021, 16:23

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @verdony 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

That sounds frustrating. However, it shouldn’t even be asking you for your WiFi credentials - it will get those from the existing system when it joins. To which end, please make sure that your Sonos app is connected to your existing system before adding the Sonos One SL.

The diagnostics you submitted yesterday are reporting that your Play:1s are having trouble with your WiFi - if you can easily and permanently connect any one speaker to ethernet, I recommend you do so (but keep it 1m from your router). This will probably make Sonos much more reliable, in your case. If this isn’t practical, you’ll need to adjust settings on your WiFi - I recommend you split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands by changing the name (SSID) of 5GHz to include -5 at the end. Don’t tell your Sonos system these new details.

In addition, when they are connected the Play:1s are reporting issues communicating with the router - you may want to isolate the router from other devices. See our Reducing wireless interference help page for more information.

Should you still have problems, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and do live troubleshooting.

Sounds good Corry thanks a lot for your help. I plugged one of my Play1 on the cable and I see now that the 2 Play1 are in cable mode. I guess this will stabilize their connection as you said.

Guess what then I tried to install the One SL and it worked! But….. then I lost again the One SL from my system. I will reboot it and retry but I sent you a new diagnosis in the meantime. Can you have a look? 
The summary of my issue is now: 2x Play1 speakers on cable mode. New One SL speaker ok to be installed but then lost.

thx for ur additional help!
best 

yann

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @verdony 

Unfortunately, as the Sonos One was offline at the time, all the diagnostic reports is that the Play:1s did talk to it at some point.

Lets see if we can give the system the best chance of reconfiguring itself. I think it might be a good idea to switch your router off for 30 seconds. Please switch off all Sonos devices at the same time. Once the router has been off for long enough, switch it on and wait for WiFi to become available before switching Salon back on. Once Salon shows a solid, white light, switch on the other Sonos devices. Bring the Sonos One within 10m of your Salon speaker - if that works, try moving it further away (the Sonos One will need to be within WiFi range of one of your Play:1s to work).

If this doesn’t help, I think bit of real-time troubleshooting will be in order - I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team.

Thanks again Corry.
I followed all the steps but unfortunately may One SL wasn’t able to remain connected to the wifi… I gave up and now I did the following:

One SL on cable: now called « Salon »

The 2 Play1 speakers on wifi in « salle à manger » and « cuisine » 

I sent you some diagnostics would be great if you could have a look at them as they are now all online. Maybe in remote you can find a way to put my One SL on wifi! Because the actual set up is not what I wanted.

my goal was to have my 2 Play 1 in the « salon ». If needed one on cable. Salon is where my router is.

And the One SL on wifi in my « salle à manger ».

let me know. I plan to buy a Beam but honestly with all these issues I’m not sure anymore.

thx 

yann 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @verdony 

Thanks for all your work. Now that I’ve got a diagnostic from your Sonos One, I can see that it needs replaced as it’s WiFi radio is faulty. Please call our technical support team at your convenience. We will cover all replacement costs, including shipping.

We’re very sorry this has happened to you and would very much like to rectify it.

Thanks.

Hi Corry,

cool that you saw this default but it’s really weird as… I’ve just replaced it last week based on discussions with your hotline. I doubt I had twice the same Wifi radio issue no? Any other supposition? Possible that my system/router « brakes » the wifi audio of the speaker? Doing again the replacement process is ok to me but as I just did it I really doubt it’s the solution…

let me know what u think. We will be best friends soon! :)

yann 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @verdony 

I did wonder about that other, offline One SL on your account!

No - your network won’t have affected the speakers in such a way. From the case notes for your previous speaker, it seems it was a different problem that produced similar symptoms. You have just been very unlucky, I’m afraid - I can assure you that this is not a common problem (I’m not sure I’ve ever come across it with this model before) and for you to receive two faulty units in a row is somewhat against the odds. I can only apologise again.

We will be more than happy to replace that speaker - again - for you, and I’m afraid nothing other than a replacement will help the problems you’ve been experiencing with it.

Ok Corry I trust you! :)

Let’s have another round!

However any chance you simplify the process and activate the process by yourself. Meaning sending me the famous replacement Email with DHL infos without me calling the hotline?

because if I call them I’ll have to go though all the standard questions (did u reboot? And so on…) and honestly big chances I give up :)

let mek know

best 

Yann 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @verdony 

However any chance you simplify the process and activate the process by yourself. Meaning sending me the famous replacement Email with DHL infos without me calling the hotline?

because if I call them I’ll have to go though all the standard questions (did u reboot? And so on…) and honestly big chances I give up :)

I understand completely, but I cannot. I suggest, however, that you point the agent that you get in touch with towards this thread - that should cut down the time significantly. The easiest way to do so (over a call) would be to ask them to search the community for your Community username “verdony” - this thread is the only search result.

And if I mention here that the fault is as clear as day in the Sonos One SL’s DMESG logs in 1827667097, that should help too - please ask the agent to read this last line specifically.