Answered

Sonos One (Gen2) stops responding to ARP and cannot be found by app

• 29 December 2020
  • 3 replies

Hello,

I am experiencing a network related issue with a new Sonos One Gen 2 where after 8-12 hours of uptime, the Sonos device stops responding to ARP requests for its IPv4 address, leading to a case where it can no longer be found by the Sonos app nor pinged at its IPv4 address until the Sonos is rebooted. Force disconnecting the Sonos from WiFi and allowing it to reconnect also restores connectivity.

This Sonos device is the only Sonos device in my system and is connected via WiFi through a Ubiquiti Unifi AC Lite AP. No other devices on this network exhibit similar issues.

Once in this “bad” state, adding a static ARP entry on my Mac allows me to ping the device, as well as allows the Mac Sonos app to discover the device. However, this does not restore connectivity from the mobile app (as expected).

Any insight into this? I was able to capture diagnostic # 516203405 while in the “bad” state using the Mac app as well.

icon

Best answer by nkaminski94 17 January 2021, 05:28

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @nkaminski94.

Thanks for reaching out, we’d be glad to help.

Upon checking the diagnostic report, your Sonos player and Mac controller are connected on two different ‘unknown’  access points. This is an indication that there seem to be multiple WiFi networks running on your system that may cause this conflict.

Knowing how and through what Sonos is connecting would be a great foundation in troubleshooting this successfully.

• May I have the make and model number of any wireless router and/or Access Point that exist on the network? It’s best if we can check any known issue or if there’s an additional configuration needed on the device that is essential for Sonos.

• Please indicate also how these devices are connected to one another (wired or wireless)

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

The access points in use are Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-Lite APs running OpenWrt 19.07.5 and the 2 SSIDs in use (one 2.4Ghz, the other 5GHz) are associated with the same L2 VLAN and subnet.

Therefore, I am very confident that this is not a case if double NAT or the inability to pass multicast SSDP packets between the Sonos and the device running the Sonos App.

However after a little trial and error, I was able to isolate the issue to the implementation of the WMM power saving feature as implemented by OpenWrt 19.07.5, as disabling such feature or updating to the latest snapshot of OpenWrt stops this behavior from occurring.

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi there @nkaminski94.

Thanks for your response and for sharing with us what you did to fix it. 

I will now mark this thread as ‘Resolved’, this can definitely benefit those members that might experience the same issue and looking for an answer here in the community.

If you have any other questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Cheers!