Sonos Move goes offline, Never come back online

• 1 July 2021
  • 3 replies

• Contributor I
  • 1 reply

hello,

I just added a sonos move to my system last week. it was working fine until today when it went offline (showing as offline in the app) and i can’t get it back online (even with reboot or find missing product). I am on an Eero pro 6 tri-band mesh here and the house, and i can see the Move connected to the downstairs Eero in the Eero app and active.

Pressing the play button on the Move sometimes starts playing a podcast, but it’s not controllable from app as showing offline despite showing online in the eero app. 

It’s become totally useless. should I return ?

Diagnostic - 123101796

ISP : Xfinity

Router : eero Pro 6

Thank you

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ODM 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I don’t think there is anything wrong with your Move, just in your network configuration.

All of your other speakers connect via your Boost, whereas the Move will only connect via your WiFi. For some reason, communication between your Move and the rest of the system is being blocked. I first recommend you reboot your router, your Eero system and the Move. When they are all off, switch on the Xfinity router first and wait for it to finish starting up before switching on the Eero system, and wait for the Eero WiFi to be available before switching on the Move.

Does your Boost connect to your Xfinity router, or to the main Eero node? If it’s to the former, you may get better results by connecting the Boost to the main Eero node instead. Please reboot the Boost after doing so.

I also recommend you read the Mesh Networks section of this article:

I hope this helps. If none of this helps, in the meantime try installing a voice assistant on your Move - you should find that it will always work, regardless of what the Sonos app says. This will mean you can still use your Move during the time it takes to fix this issue.

Ok.

• The boost is already connected to the Eero
  • The Move is attached to the same Eero (and was showing there even when “offline”)

I can go fumble with Bridge mode settings here and there, but why would i nuke 90% of the features of my eero system ? 

The fact that the Move does not return from offline mode despite all the devices (boost/move) being connected to the same Eero is strange . There is clearly something going on here with the Sonos platform (in the broader sense) not handling this correctly. The only thing that worked was re-adding the speaker.  I also noticed this happened right after I used spotify connect for the first time with the move. Weird ?

I’ld understand if these were on different networks, but they are not ?

Voice assistant is cool but i have other Alexa and Google home devices on this network, and the last time i tried it, I noticed that whenever a voice command is issued in any room, the Volume on all the sonos speakers (throughout the house) will duck.. I am sure this improves the Alexa/Google FAR/FRR/Command response, but it’s really really annoying to have the volume duck on my office speakers because someone downstairs is asking alexa for the weather.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ODM 

I can go fumble with Bridge mode settings here and there, but why would i nuke 90% of the features of my eero system ? 

Because otherwise, you have two routers on your network which can produce some weird and irregular results if they’re not configured correctly. As all your speakers are currently on the same subnet, I don’t think this is the reason why the Move is missing, but it is a good idea to do put the Eero in Bridge mode none the less. 

Voice assistant is cool but i have other Alexa and Google home devices on this network, and the last time i tried it, I noticed that whenever a voice command is issued in any room, the Volume on all the sonos speakers (throughout the house) will duck.. I am sure this improves the Alexa/Google FAR/FRR/Command response, but it’s really really annoying to have the volume duck on my office speakers because someone downstairs is asking alexa for the weather.

This only happens on Sonos when you address an Amazon product. If you address a Sonos product, only that product will duck.

Regarding the Move, please try these steps:

1. Navigate to https://internet.xfinity.com/
  2. Sign in with the customer Xfinity xFi account
    image.png

3. Once logged in, click the Devices or Connect tab, then click on the Paused Sonos device

4. On the following page, click on the Unpaused Device button
    image.png

5. Click on Apply Changes to complete the unblocking process of the device
    image.png

You may need to reboot the Move afterwards.