Sonos disconnects when not in use and not reachable anymore

• 17 January 2021
  • 5 replies

Hi,

I have a Sonos Play 5 (Gen2), see below the information from controller (most recent S2 version)

Associated Product: *local IP address*
---------------------------------
Play:5: Salon
Serial Number: XX-XX-XX-XX-XX
Sonos OS: S2
Version: 12.2.2 (build 61183220)
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.9-2.2
Series ID: C201
IP Address: *local IP address*
WM: 0

So, the speaker is connected through cable to the router (it’s internet box acting as router, from french operator Free).

When in use, no problem: able to stream music from local library or from on-line music services, app is able to connect to the Sonos.

Then, when not in use, after a while, the Sonos seems to get disconnected and disappears. It is not any more reachable from the controller, nor streaming services nor apps.

The solution is to force renewal of IP address by unplugging and plugging the ethernet cable or switching off / on the Sonos speaker. So, not very convenient…

I tried various configuration of the router (e.g. allocating fixed local IP address).

The closest topic on this forum seems to be “Sonos One (Gen2) stops responding to ARP and cannot be found by app”, but I did not find so much relevant answers.

Is there any power saving mode leading the speaker to disconnect from the network? Any possibility to wake it from a request coming from the app? Does the router forget the speaker if not active for a while? So finally router or speaker issue?

At last, this issue appeared recently: router firmware was not upgraded while Sonos had multiple upgrade. So, I would favor a Sonos issue.

Thanks in advance for your hints.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Yomgui75

Welcome to the Sonos community. Thank you for reaching out to us and for your detailed post describing your concern.  We appreciate your effort in resolving the issue. To help you out why your Sonos speaker is having connection issues, I'll be requesting from you in submitting a diagnostic report and include the confirmation number in your response to find out the cause. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns, we'll be glad to assist you. 

Hi,

thanks. Diganostic report number is : 1568374019

Note that the problem reported did not appear in the recent days (I was waiting to have it reproduced to send another report!)

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Yomgui75

Thank you for your response and for submitting the diagnostic. Upon checking the report, I don't see any issue that might be causing the disconnection issue.

Your Sonos system was configured as a wired connection and having this setup will make your Sonos speaker consistently connected to your network. There's no power-saving mode on your Sonos Play 5, it will stay on so long it's plugged in to power.

Please continue to monitor your Sonos system, when you encounter the issue, please perform the following.

• Sequential reboot to refresh your network and all your Sonos devices connection.
    • Unplug your network devices (modem, router, any wireless access points on the network) from the power and wait for 60 full seconds before you plug it back in.
    • Once the router is back online, unplug all your Sonos devices from the power.
    • Please wait 15 seconds before you plug back them back in.
    • Force close the Sonos app from your iOS or Android device.
    • When the status light on your Sonos devices are solid white, get back on the Sonos app and check if you're connected. Please make sure that it's 
    • Test playback from and observe Sonos performance.
  • If you're playing music on your music library, make sure that your computer is not on power-saving mode. When the screen turns off, it will also stop the music. 

Please submit another diagnostic report and let us know the confirmation number for us to check.

Let us know if you need help with any other information, we're here to answer any further questions you have.

Hi,

thanks for the analysis.

Today, while playing music, the Sonos get disconnected. Report from the App (on Mac) was not able to submit diagnostic for a while (error message was something like “diagnostic is not available please try again”.  The App did not find the speaker.

After a while, new diagnostic was created: 268615985.

On the console of the home router on which the Sonos is connected, I see 3 IP addresses:

one IPv4, and 2 IPv6 (or looking like IPv6) one, coming from DHCP, mDNS and UPnP. Anything to be done on the router side? (Disabling UPnP ?)

So, indeed, rebooting the router or the speaker as you suggested, solves the problem. It’s just not the way it should work…

I am mostly using Spotify as music service (not using local music library). Don’t you think it may come from the on-line service that may get lost and force some devices to disconnect? Have you ever witnessed incompatibility between Play5 and Spotify?

Thanks,

Userlevel 5
Badge +16

Hi @Yomgui75

Thanks for your response and for updating us.

Your Sonos Play will consistently connect to your network. Rebooting your Sonos devices will refresh its network connection. If you're not experiencing any issues with your Sonos system, there's no need to reboot them. There are no reports that the Sonos Play 5 and Spotify have compatibility issues, make sure that both software applications are up to date. The diagnostic report that you submitted doesn't have any content and only showing the controller information. Is your Play 5 was powered on when you submit it?

Sonos is compatible with 2.4GHz WiFi signal and 802.11b/g/n modes enabled in your router. I suggest checking this article first for Sonos system requirements, it describes recommended network types for Sonos.

Here are router settings that need to be verified. You can contact your ISP or the manufacturer of the router for assistance.

• The auto channel must be set to Off.
  • Choose the best non-overlapping channel (1,6,11).
  • Set channel bandwidth to 20MHz.
  • Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz should be enabled.
  • 802.11 bands should be set to b/g/n.
  • Airtime Fairness should be disabled.

Let us know how it goes and if you have any other questions or run into any issues, please do not hesitate to reach out.