Answered

sonos controller app (ios and android) cannot find speakers

• 10 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Hi,

We have two play:1 speakers which we have had for years with no issues and a beam for two years. We have had no issues using these, but since the last ios update every time I open sonos it says that it cannot find the speakers. My husband is having the same issues after the last update on his andriod phone. We found another article about turning on/off the private network in wifi, this solves it for the day but next day and the same issue is back. I have tried it with the setting turned on and off but only resetting the whole system now lets me see the speakers? If anyone has anything I can try it would be much appreciated (just a warning that I’m not massively tech savvy!)

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Dannyoatz 12 April 2021, 19:47

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Try hard-wiring one of the speakers to your router. This will make them use SonosNet instead of your WiFi, which is usually more reliable.

our router is in the cupboard under the stairs using fttp so cannot go elsewhere. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @C_G200 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Right now, all your speakers are online and connected to our servers. Are you still having this problem?

If so, please first check that your mobile/tablet is connected to the correct WiFi - your guest WiFi (if activated) would not be suitable, for example.

There are a couple of new settings on iPhones/iPads that can directly affect their ability to connect to Sonos:

1. Local Network permissions on iOS 14+. This option can be found in the iPhone’s settings, under Sonos.
  2. Private Address on iOS 14+. It’s not clear to me why this causes an issue, or if it’s confirmed that it does at all, but there’s a thread about it here: 

If Android controllers are affected too, however, there will be something else getting in the way.

Do you have anything that extends the reach of your WiFi? If so, please try turning it off.

Hi guys. 

I have had a similar issue for weeks and it was driving me mad! I tried everything, reset the app, unplugged the speakers, rebooted modem, router and every device in the house. 

I believe after weeks and a conversation with three different Sonos technical support folks we have found the fix. It will most likely be your router configuration. 

if you have a router with both a 2.5ghz network and 5ghz network then even though you have in your mind one network you actually have two. The speakers will most likely be connected to the 2.5ghz network but the controller (your phone) will sometimes connect to the 5ghz network. When that happens the controller can’t connect to the speakers. The fix is a few things but you need to do the following;

Go into your router and turn off the 5ghz network which will leave just one network. 

You may also have to change the mode to 2 and ensure the router channel is not on a smart mode but rather a fixed channel (1/6 or 11). Ideally one that the Sonos app is not on. 

Once you’ve changed and saved the new router settings you’ll need to reboot the router 

try that and you should be good! 

Thank you! 

This seems to have solved it for both the iOS and android phones! We did try the secure setting thing on both our phones which unfortunately doesn’t work from day to day. 

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Hi guys. 

I have had a similar issue for weeks and it was driving me mad! I tried everything, reset the app, unplugged the speakers, rebooted modem, router and every device in the house. 

I believe after weeks and a conversation with three different Sonos technical support folks we have found the fix. It will most likely be your router configuration. 

if you have a router with both a 2.5ghz network and 5ghz network then even though you have in your mind one network you actually have two. The speakers will most likely be connected to the 2.5ghz network but the controller (your phone) will sometimes connect to the 5ghz network. When that happens the controller can’t connect to the speakers. The fix is a few things but you need to do the following;

Go into your router and turn off the 5ghz network which will leave just one network. 

You may also have to change the mode to 2 and ensure the router channel is not on a smart mode but rather a fixed channel (1/6 or 11). Ideally one that the Sonos app is not on. 

Once you’ve changed and saved the new router settings you’ll need to reboot the router 

try that and you should be good! 

Im having similar issues so will try that. Before i do, what are the pitfalls? Am i going to have trouble now with all the other devices in the house? Why do we have two different ghz networks?

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Im having similar issues so will try that. Before i do, what are the pitfalls? Am i going to have trouble now with all the other devices in the house? Why do we have two different ghz networks?

Hi @Stall 

There aren’t any really. If you only change the name of the 5GHz network (I typically just add -5 to the end) all your existing devices will still connect to 2.4 GHz, and any devices that can make use of 5 GHz and it’s speed can be taught the 5GHz details too.

Technically it’s all the same network, but routers try to force Sonos devices onto 5Ghz as they have a suitable radio, but they reserve it for other uses, so a disconnect happens. Separating the bands prevents this.