Answered

Sonos Arc loud pop then audio loss, Xbox series X

• 27 December 2020
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 2

Hi,

Today was using my Xbox with the ARC at normal volume and there was a loud pop and a loss of all audio from the ARC. Sound was restored by a power cycle but I think the audio isn’t quite right. The bass seems underwhelming now and the ARC seems quieter as though not all speakers are firing.

I see from the forum I am not the only one with this issue. 
Diagnostics submitted, 496314429.

Not going to lie I am pretty disappointed with the ARC I have loads of Sonos kit and have had no issues prior to this.

I would also like to raise the problem with intermittent audio loss from a Sony XH90 which I know is a known issue. My workaround was to use the Xbox with audio passthru which got around that glitch. If there is now an issue with using the ARC with an Xbox I am afraid I will have to press for a return.

I have already contacted Techradar asking them to revisit their review of the ARC in light of the audio loss from TVs when they are the audio source.

Kind Regards,

Simon

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 27 December 2020, 13:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

11 replies

Simon,

I thought Sony had started the rollout of the firmware to fix the HDMI 2.1 issues with the XH90, have you checked if that is now available for your region?

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1602672819

If you don’t get a reply from Sonos staff here regarding your diagnostic report, you can also contact Sonos Customer Care via this LINK

Userlevel 2

Hi Ken,

I am having the same issues with eARC that many people seem to be having with audio loss from many brands of TV not just Sony. The link is for the firmware to enable 2.1 which I have. The one to fix audio drop out isn’t released to my knowledge and is still being worked on by Sonos and or Sony but it is a widely recognised issue. 

That is my main issue really even if my ARC isn’t damaged, if there is an issue with the xbox as a source the ARC is now effectively useless as the Xbox is already a workaround as my tv based apps lose audio.

Also another post from someone having the exact same audio issue with the ARC and Xbox so not sure if Sonos has pushed a firmware update recently as this is a new issue and I have had the Xbox since release and have had no issues prior to today.

Hi Ken,

I am having the same issues with eARC that many people seem to be having with audio loss from many brands of TV not just Sony. The link is for the firmware to enable 2.1 which I have. The one to fix audio drop out isn’t released to my knowledge and is still being worked on by Sonos and or Sony but it is a widely recognised issue. 

That is my main issue really even if my ARC isn’t damaged, if there is an issue with the xbox as a source the ARC is now effectively useless as the Xbox is already a workaround as my tv based apps lose audio.

Also another post from someone having the exact same audio issue with the ARC and Xbox so not sure if Sonos has pushed a firmware update recently as this is a new issue and I have had the Xbox since release and have had no issues prior to today.

It will be best to wait and see what the diagnostic report reveals and then take it from there with the Sonos Staff. I’m using the Arc here too, but have an LG TV and it’s been fine, so I suspect the update from Sony will go onto sort matters for your TV  - I’ve not heard of the Xbox issue, personally speaking, but I guess not many are connecting those direct to their Arc.

Anyhow, I hope you get the matter sorted soon.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Ken.

Also to clarify the Xbox was not connected directly to the ARC but through the tv with audio passthru enabled.

I am assuming the other poster had the system setup in the same fashion as the ARC has no passthru so the signal would have to via the TV or a splitter.

Thanks Ken.

Also to clarify the Xbox was not connected directly to the ARC but through the tv with audio passthru enabled.

I am assuming the other poster had the system setup in the same fashion as the ARC has no passthru so the signal would have to via the TV or a splitter.

Ah I see, yes I use pass-through on my TV too for my connected devices (no XBox here though), Sorry I thought you were bypassing the TV altogether with the ‘optical to HDMI adapter’ and an audio splitter. Hope the diagnostic report helps to get the matter sorted for you. 

Thanks Ken.

I have the same setup and same issue just occurred. I’m worried about damage to the speaker but unsure how to test this beyond the secretive diagnostics report via Sonos app.

Thanks Ken.

I have the same setup and same issue just occurred. I’m worried about damage to the speaker but unsure how to test this beyond the secretive diagnostics report via Sonos app.

My guess is the Arc will be fine, but just see how things go and if you continue to have any concerns, then I would perhaps submit a diagnostic report (maybe immediately after hearing a considered related audio issue) and post the report reference back here at anytime and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK

Thanks Ken.

My guess is the Arc will be fine, but just see how things go and if you continue to have any concerns, then I would perhaps submit a diagnostic report (maybe immediately after hearing a considered related audio issue) and post the report reference back here at anytime and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK

I sent one immediately after it happened. Waiting to hear back. It’s odd this is happening with the Xbox Series X primarily from what I can tell. I wonder why they’re not playing nice.

I sent one immediately after it happened. Waiting to hear back. It’s odd this is happening with the Xbox Series X primarily from what I can tell. I wonder why they’re not playing nice.

Note... you will need to contact the Support Staff via the link in my earlier post to get feedback on your diagnostic report submission… just for your info.👍

Note... you will need to contact the Support Staff via the link in my earlier post to get feedback on your diagnostic report submission… just for your info.👍

I submitted it in another thread about the same issue. Thanks though!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

The loud pop and audio loss has happened to me many times over the past year.

It's quite scary. 

I have assumed it was due to the HDFury Arcana which I have in between my Xbox One X (not the series 😵 and my Sony TV.

The pop seemed to go away for the past few months,  and I assumed that firmware updates sorted it out.  But following recent updates to my TV and Sonos App, and a subsequent update to the Arcana, the problem seems to have returned. 

Not only that, but since the pop occurred yesterday, my volume has been a lot lower. Where I used to set my TV volume at 12 and that was plenty loud enough for casual TV watching, now I am turning the volume up to 20-30 in order to hear dialogue. The bass is still deep and heavy though. Making me think I might have blown a tweeter or something. 

Worrying.