Sonos Arc EAC3 Playback issues

• 15 July 2021
  • 6 replies

I have a Sonos Arc connected to my LG B7 (ARC), and an Apple TV 4K, if I play an EAC3 file (DD+) on the Apple TV, the Arc starts playing back in DD. But if I play the same file on the Plex WebOS version, it plays back in DD+.

I have no idea what is causing this issue, but I am assuming that it is the Apple TV. As the LG Plex version can play back DD+ over arc to my Sonos Arc with no issues. I can play DD+ (Atmos) fine on Netflix on the Apple TV, it is just using Plex on EAC3 files that do not playback in DD+. I have checked and everything is working via Direct Play, but have no idea how to fix this issue.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Can you explain why this is a problem for you?

Because my Dolby Digital Plus audio is played back at Dolby Digital instead of what it should be playing back as 

Apple TV usually uses MAT to send an Atmos signal, and a MAT signal is too “fat” to be carried by ARC, and requires eARC. You may need to go in to the audio settings in the Apple TV’s menu, and make sure it’s not set to “Auto” but instead choose the type of output it gives to your LG.

This isn’t for Atmos, but for normal Dolby Digital Plus playback. It works on Netflix and others apart from Plex. 

Ah, I see. If it works for Netflix and others without issue, I’d be looking pretty hard at Plex, and checking with their support folks.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Because my Dolby Digital Plus audio is played back at Dolby Digital instead of what it should be playing back as 

I agree this is strange. But can you hear any difference? Is the problem maybe that you lose Atmos (which DD+ carries, but DD doesn’t)? Or is it something else?