Sonos 2 app Not Working on Moto G Power

• 27 March 2021
  • 6 replies

Like the title says, the Sonos 2 app barely works on my Moto G Power running Android 10. It will work for a few minutes then suddenly not be able to connect. I have to force stop and clear the storage/cache then reconnect to the system to get it work again. Sometimes I have to try to reconnect multiple times. Once it is reconnected it will work for 5-10 minutes then stop connecting. I’ve uninstalled and installed the app multiple times. I’ve deleted all my apps to see if there was a conflict with another app. I have no problem connecting with any other phone/device in my house. It is only my Moto G Power that is unable to consistently connect which is an annoyance because it is my main device/phone. I’ve had the phone for about 6 months and it worked fine on it up until a week ago. 

Any recommendations/fixes?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Describe your SONOS system and network for us. What is wired? Wireless?

I’d agree with buzz, it sounds like network issues, and not issues with the controller app. Remember, the controller app is merely a ‘remote control’ to the system running on the speakers, it is not a player in and of itself. 

Given that it worked fine until a week or so ago, I’d suspect a change in outside wifi interference, although it could be possible that the router is ‘auto’ channel surfing, causing the speakers to constantly disconnect as they search to find where the router has switched to. Answers to his questions would certainly help clarify the issue. 

Thank you for taking the time to repsond!

I’ve got a Beam, Playbar and 2 Sonos 1s. All of them are wireless. All the speakers are anywhere from 5 feet to 20 feet away from the router. I haven’t changed the router/modem. I can easily access each speaker with other mobile devices (wife’s and kid’s phones) using the Sonos 2 app just not on a regular basis on my Moto G Power. If there was interference I would think that it would affect all our devices somewhat equally. I’ve unplugged the modem/router multiple times but that doesn’t do the trick either. 

Distance doesn’t mean much, when talking about potential interference, especially if that interference is coming from outside your network. But you’re right, if it was interference of some type, you’d likely see it from all devices, and not just the MotoG….but unless you’re playing music “from this device”, the controller has zero input into the stream, beyond starting/stopping it. It’s not the “source” of the music, the controller is just telling the speakers where to go get the music. 

Unless your Sonos devices are unplugged when you reboot your router, you’re not getting the full advantage. I’d certainly try that. But again, that would tend to affect all your controllers equally, not just the MotoG. Which really begs the question, what is the real source of your music?

But at the end of the day,  I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem when using the MotoG, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, there are more options available beyond just the diagnostic analysis. 

Thank you for your response! I play music directly from my device via Sonos and use iBroadcast. I tried it with Youtube Music and Spotify to see if the problem was with the music service and the problem occurred with each and every one of them.

When I open the Sonos 2 app I don’t even get the chance to select a music provider. I immediately get the “Unable to connect to Sonos” message every time I start the app before I select the music provider. Again, it is only with this one device. No other device in my house has this problem and the Sonos help line hasn’t been able to figure it out. 

The only time your device is part of the equation is when you’re playing ‘from this device’. In all other cases, it is merely a remote control, there is no music going from the phone to the speakers. Using iBroadcast, or any other service, the phone merely tells the speakers where to look for the music data. 

Since we have defined that it is unique to this device, then it begs the question about networks. Do you just have a single router, or do you have a mesh system, or some network extenders? Is there any possibility that this phone is connected to another WiFi signal that is not generated by this single router that the Sonos are connected to? Or perhaps a different channel, 2.4Ghz vs 5Ghz? What model is the router in question?