Answered

S1 stopped working with Connect - Wants me to use S2 but of course that does not work

• 5 December 2021
  • 9 replies

I use S1 with a Connect on the same network where I have multiple other devices running S2. It’s always worked fine. Today the S1 app was not connecting and seemed to not even know my ID. I logged out and logged back in and then it told me to use S2. Of course the S2 does not work with the Connect so I factory reset the Connect, reinstalled the S1 app and tried to connect the Connect. No dice. Tried everything and finally had to dig it out of its location and plug it hard into the router. 

Got it set up but the S1 app was acting weird and would log into my account but then lose connection with the Connect. Then it would say “we found Connect” and I’d click on it but have to log into my account all over again. THEN all of my services were gone so I added them back and it said “oh we found them!” one by one. 

Sheesh I did all of this but it would not play. Seemed to be lost trying to find the Connect and my account. I was 90 minutes in at this point. THEN……

It told me I needed to start using S2 with my system...same place I started. 

I love Sonos B/c is just works. This was a huge disappointment and now I’m without music in my garage. 

Seems like an issue with the S1 app but I have no idea.

Any help?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 7 December 2021, 02:16

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Badge +17

Hi @pilopilo,

First of all, please don’t factory reset any more players. This will only serve to complicate things further.

Second, it seems like the Sonos app is detecting your S2 system instead of the Connect, which is causing the messages about using the S2 app to appear. I’m assuming your Connect is not able to be upgraded to S2?

If your Connect isn’t able to be found on the network, the only other Sonos devices it can find are those attached to the S2 side and so attempts to connect to those.

I suggest getting in touch with our customer care team, who will be able to guide you in getting your Connect reconnected to the network and running on S1.

When I select “switch to S2” I get the message that my system is not able to be upgraded to S2. So it’s seeing the correct device but somehow caught in a loop. “Must use S2!” → “Device cannot be upgraded!” ]→ Kill App → Load App → “Must use S2!” → “Device cannot be upgraded”

It’s stuck

Temporarily unplug all your S2 devices from power. Then boot up the S1 app, and deal with the CONNECT. Once you’ve finished with that, you can plug back in your S2 devices. 

When I select “switch to S2” I get the message that my system is not able to be upgraded to S2. So it’s seeing the correct device but somehow caught in a loop. “Must use S2!” → “Device cannot be upgraded!” ]→ Kill App → Load App → “Must use S2!” → “Device cannot be upgraded”

It’s stuck

Note you cannot setup / create an S1 Sonos Household whilst you have the S2 controller App installed on your mobile device - so aswell as switching off all your S2 devices, you ideally need to remove the S2 App aswell, then setup your S1 Household. 

The slightly unfortunate thing in your case was factory resetting the ‘Connect’ …by doing that, you have created quite a few problems for yourself, but it’s not a huge issue, you just need to hide the S2 setup to start a brand new S1 Household. You will need to reinstall the music services etc in the S1 App too. The S2 HH and App will be safe and retain its settings when you restore the App back later to the ‘existing’ S2 System. 

Thanks All.

This all started when my perfectly running S1 system insisted that I had to use the S2 app/system. Everything had been working fine for 2.5 years. Nothing changed. So I go through this effort of unplugging all of my s2 devices (10+ of them), removing the S2 app, doing my thing, reinstalling s2 app then why would I not have the same problem I started with?

Because while they’re unplugged, you’re setting up the “recognition” of your S1 system again, without clouding the issue of it recognizing the S2 components.

I don’t know why your S1 controller lost track of the existing system. I only offered a solution to the immediate problem, without knowing the actual cause of its occurrence. 

Thanks and I appreciate the advice. Didn’t mean to sound dismissive. I’m trying to understand why it would initially fail so I don’t go through the effort and end up in the same place. 

You could speculate until the cows come home, unfortunately. It’s certainly not a common problem that I’m aware of, so it could be anything from a power surge, failure of the electronics, an odd bug in the software that is infrequently run in to, or electromagnetic radiation, up to and including solar rays. And yes, I mean that literally. 

Thanks and I appreciate the advice. Didn’t mean to sound dismissive. I’m trying to understand why it would initially fail so I don’t go through the effort and end up in the same place. 

My guess is that your S1/S2 systems were initially using the same Household ID and that when sight was lost of your S1 system, the App easily found the S2 setup and tried to connect to that - I think had you have powered the Connect off/on again and perhaps fully closed (slid off screen) the S1 App and reopened it, things might have sorted themselves out. 

Unfortunately, once you factory reset the ‘one and only’ device in the S1 system you then have to go through the rigmarole of creating a new S1 HH and to do that you need to hide the elements of any existing S2 system.

Now that you’ve (perhaps) setup the S1 system again, it will have a different Household ID, which hopefully will improve things a little for you. The important thing to keep in mind perhaps, is not to factory reset anything when these things happen - a reboot of a router, or power-off/on of speakers, coupled with a closure of the Sonos App, can usually solve the majority of issues that maybe occasionally encountered.