Repeating issue - playing song overnight on repeat seems problematic on move

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi.

I’m pretty happy with the performance of my Sonos kit. I have a big system. I have recently moved from using sonosnet to using my TP Link 3 channel mesh network. This seems to have stopped most of the sound dropouts I was getting. Likely because there is less congestion on the 2.4 ghz band.

Anyway, when my wife and I sleep, we play a spotify track on repeat (deep sleep delta waves) as it helps us sleep.

It kind of stutters when repeating. Sometimes pauses for a few seconds between reaching the end and replaying. In the Sonos app I often see ‘cannot play this song as it is not properly encoded’.

Surely that error is garbage, if it’s streaming fine most of the time.

Is there a better way to achieve the aim here? I have a NAS I could host a song on. I could build a longer version of the song. 

There’s no problem playing with Spotify in general (unless Sonos needs an update, but we use Spotify issues as a trigger to check for system updates).

Thanks for any suggestions!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

There are a few things you can try in this situation, which I think is likely related to some form of wireless interference, but my first suggestion is to perhaps consider the following..

1. If it’s possible, perhaps set your TP-Link mesh hubs to use a ‘fixed’ non overlapping Wifi channel, either 1, 6 or 11 and a channel width of 20MHz only. Some mesh system don’t allow this, but just check and see.
  2. Are you certain that the Move is using your 2.4Ghz band? Unlike some Sonos devices, it can also use the 5Ghz band - I would double-check that, either in your Sonos App network settings, or in your router configuration pages (probably listed either under your DHCP, LAN or WiFi Adapter configuration pages. If the Move is fixed to the 5Ghz band, then delete that network in your Sonos App and use the ‘Manage Networks’ option to put the device firmly onto the 2.4Ghz band.
  3. If the above seems too complex, then as an easier alternative, simple reboot your entire TP-Link mesh network and let it settle for 30 minutes, or so, and then power off your Move for 5 minutes and power it back on again and that way it should find the best WiFi connection to use.

If the problem persists after this, then perhaps go onto look at these two links below, which may also help you with the issue:

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hey - thanks for the reply.

The moves were indeed connected to the 5Ghz network.

TP Link doesn’t allow you to guide devices to the 2.4Ghz network (It looks like they are working on a firmware update, but who knows when that will be).

Anyway, I thought I had a great idea - disable 2.4Ghz on the main network and set up a guest network on the 2.4Ghz channel only. 

Now the sonos are all on 2.4Ghz. But duh! If my phone or laptop is connected to the 5Ghz network they can’t see the Sonos. Or can they?

Is there way to forward ports between two different networks so the Sonos system thinks they are the same?

Or is this the best suggestion: Turn off the Moves for 5 mins and then let them connect back to the guest network on 2.4Ghz, then recombine the two channels under the same network?

Good thinking but Sonos may have issues with ‘guest’ networks - you need both the devices and the mobile controllers on the same WiFi signal. 

Are the TP-Link 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands (SSID’s) both named the same? - you could consider naming them separately. In my network for example I have the 2.4Ghz named LocalLink-2G and the 5Ghz named LocalLink-5G

Obviously if you change things on either band, it will likely affect all your WiFi connected devices, so keep that in mind, but you can then move your Sonos products onto the 2.4Ghz band and in fact use your controllers on the 5Ghz band if you wish, rather than using the guest network. In fact I would switch off any guest networks, if not using them, to reduce the potential for wireless interference.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So I can have my phone on the 5Ghz band called wifi-5g and still control the Sonos on the 2.4Ghz band called WiFi?

So I can have my phone on the 5Ghz band called wifi-5g and still control the Sonos on the 2.4Ghz band called WiFi?

Yes, that should be fine as long as both are your primary WiFi network and not a guest network.👍

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Of course I realise that feature is not available in the TP Link software yet.

When you connect the Sonos to the wireless, do the individual speakers save the connection details down to the band they connected to? Or is there a chance the move will connect to 5Ghz when it’s next looking for the network.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Only if it knows the credentials to that network……

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Ok, so I am now pretty convinced this is a software issue rather than any wireless interference.

Playing spotify from Sonos always works through the app except when I am trying to repeat this song.

Last night it wouldn’t play at all from the Sonos app. Various garbage errors like the file is not found or in the right format.

But when playing through Spotify app. it works, and keeps repeating all night.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Any ideas?

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Who marked this as answered? It’s not solved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Andrewnoob 

Thanks for your post!

I recommend you submit a diagnostic immediately after experiencing the issue and record the number given. Then, when convenient, get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system when you relay the recorded number to them.

When a topic has received no reply for a couple of days, we go through and pick the Best Answer from what’s on the thread, or suggest our own - many people stop posting as soon as the problem is solved and don’t mark the Best Answer, so we do it for them. As you can see, we can easily undo this.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi. Thanks. I'll do it later when I'm going to use it again. Thanks for the reply.